Native plant garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2002, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a native plant garden?

If you do, dont you just love it!!! I love mine so much, I have to admit that I harvest some of the natives in the woods but I promise I give them a good life in my garden. I have solomon seals, native hostas, allum plants (sp?), fairy wand plants, ferns gallor!!!!

You know you never have to work hard to keep the natives alive because they live here anyway!!! its easy and FUN!!! YAHOOO!!!

A bonus is that you can teach your babies about the natives in your area. A great educational tool

luv cece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 07:36 AM

I've got a few bits & pieces around. When we redo the back yard just before we sell the house I plan to do it in natives & riverstone. We get some awesomely beautiful native plants here so there's not really any excuse not to grow them. I have also found that the pre-european veges do far better than the more recent introductions. dd#2's placenta is buried under a native tree ( kauri ) & our spirit baby is buried under another native tree ( puriri ). My dream is to rebush some land with the native plants that should be there.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:21 AM

I love natives!

Our yard is surrounded by woods and the trilliums, jack in the pulpits, ferns and trout lillies seem to love the border between yard and woods. And I love them. Eli and I go to check on them nearly every day- pulpits are my very favorite flower. We also have jo pai (sp.) weed, and I took the seeds from black eyed susans that grow wild on the mountain and planted them everywhere. We have also been foraging for fiddlehead ferns here on the mountain, yummy- and I love to eat things collected in the wild.

We were fortunate enough to rent a house in MD from owners who rescued native plants. When land was being developed they would go in ahead of the bulldozers and transplant natives to their own yard. They did this with a network of other people. Our old yard was full of turks cap lilly, bee balm, wild ginger, false indigo, Virginia bluebells (the real thing, not cultivars), etc. It was great when we went hiking in the smokies to see these plants in the wild! Tennessee is so beautiful Cece, you must love it. I would love to visit NZ OceanMomma and get a chance to see your landscape and native plants.

-jeanie

User Tag List