Baby Food Garden!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2002, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd is going to start eating veggies for the first time this summer (she's nine months now and exclusively bf), we want to plant a babyfood garden!!! Ideas! What veggies, growable in pots, did your 10-12months babies enjoy? So far I've thought of yellow squash, sugar snap peas, and zuchini...Maybe soybeans, too! Thanks for your inspirations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2002, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you!

Beans and peas are great and tomoatos. Just about anything that can be turned into a baby friendly texture is great.

Our DS ate and still does, tons of vegies. We made him a lot of small pieces of things when he was about that age. Some we had to cook (beans) and make really small as he only had 2 teeth at that point.

Seeded eggplant cooks up really well too.

Until your babe is used to solids, you will need to make them really mushy vs. finger food. We found that blending tofu with just about anything was very popular. Also adding fruit (pears etc.)

good luck!
Old 05-14-2002, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Sara! Yeah, she only has 1/2 a tooth, so I guess we'll be doing mushy veggies, even though she's older...Eggplant sounds yummy--I never thought of little one's eating tomatos! We all love em so of course we're growing lots...I just thought they'd be like citrus (possibly allergenic), but I guess since she'll be close to one allgeries aren't such a concern...right? I need to do some research about how to start solids with an older babe, but anyways...

Sugar snap peas and winter squash are ones I just thought of, and zuchini!

I wonder what besides beets are high-iron veggies...

I
Old 05-14-2002, 06:58 PM

You're welcome!

As for which solids, the best advice I've heard is to listen to your instincts and your child's. I think the Gerber regime of steps is a little too regimented for some, besides being full of chemicals, salt and sugar...okay off my soap box.

Tomatoes can be an allergin as can strawberries, but we didn't really worry too much about that. We would offer a new food three days in a row and monitor Seamus for any reactions. We found with tomatoes that his skin would turn a bit red if the juice wasn't wiped off, but then he was fine. If you are concerned yellow tomatoes are very low in acid.

At six months are son was grabbing food off our plates, so we started him on solids then. I always breast fed first and then offered solids, still do actually - his preference.

At nine months he was really good at grabbing, so we gave him lots of finger foods -- just about every fruit and vegie and rice we could think of, but always cooking and/or peeling and cutting to make it a safe size and texture for him. Watermelon was hilarious (and oh so messy!!!) We did wait until about 11 months for any wheat (ie pasta and crackers and toast) and dairy (milk and yogurt)

At 20 months he is still vegetarian, breastfeeding, eating everything, happy, and healthy!

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:14 PM

I reckon peas as well. Brocolli is good too, except I find it a bit labour intensive trying to get all the bugs off. So what I do is leave it to flower & set seed & do brocolli sprouts with it & buy organic brocolli from the vege store. Cucumbers are nice & easy to grow. Saffron loves broad beans so I grow heaps of them too. I'm currently trying out some lentils & chickpeas that I grew from some old sprouts I had. It's winter here but is always very mild so if they do nothing they'll be good green manure.

Some of the milder forms of lettuce like corn salad & miners lettuce are nice. Saffron particularly likes miners lettuce. It's got nice small leaves she can pick too. I've got a big patch of parlsey I let her pick & eat as well.

Pumkins are also a good one. I had some kumi kumis which are a real old variety you get here - pre-european. They're very small & sweet. She loved them too.

Capsicums are another fave of hers. Plus, strangely enough, garlic.

If we weren't planning on moving at the end of the year, I'd plant some blueberry & some raspberry bushes since they are very nutritious fruits when grown organically.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:38 PM

I would vote against eggplants, tomatoes, and maybe even potatoes for a first food....they're all in the same family, nightshades, and are slightly toxic. Belladonna is also a relative.....

Now, I have a fairly allergic family, and yep, as it turns out, my dd is very allergic to the nightshades. My mom was sensitive to tomatoes for a long time, and she thinks it's because her mom fed her tomato juice as a little baby.

If you don't think it is a problem, use your own judgement. I did feed dd tomatoes and spicy food when she was littler, since nothing seemed to make her allergies any better anyway. I wanted her to like the flavor. I didn't know, at the time, that she needed to
not eat them, and needed me not to either.

These are foods that people with arthritis are encoraged not to eat, because they can cause inflammation, even if you aren't actually allergic.

That's such a cool idea, a baby food garden. I have lots of little baby onions, lettuce, chard, kale (a good iron-rich veggie), squash, peas, and beans right now, it's so fun!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:37 AM

My kids don't generally do well with the nightshades either. What about spinach?

User Tag List