What are you feeding your little Sproutlings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I got my seed order, sowed them the same day and even though I am way behind schedule I have my first seedlings sprouted! Yay! I am so excited, I love to garden but the past 2 seasons haven't done a single thing so this is big for me to start up again!

I was reading through Baker Creek's growing guide, and I noticed they suggest feeding your sprouts with a liquid feed once they are a certain size (I don't remember specifically). 

What are you feeding your little sproutlings? When do you start feeding them if at all? I am doing ALL containers this year if that makes a difference.

I have never actually used a liquid feed, usually I enrich the soil itself but usually I am planting in the ground so it is a big difference to me. Obviously I am only interest in organic feeding/fertilizing of any kind, otherwise it sort of defeats the purpose of my garden in the first place.

So spam me with your favorite fertilizer/feeds!

#2 of 7 Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

You can feed the seedlings with a diluted liquid fish emulsion.

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#3 of 7 Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

yeah something like that...What about bonemeal mixes once they are transplated, I have always been a fan of those.
#4 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I am trying the Neptune's Harvest fish emulsion/algae mix.  I am using it at 1/4- 1/2 strength for my tomato and veggie seedlings.  I think I have historically under-fertilized my veggie seedlings, so I have high hopes for this year!   So far the seedlings look great--pictures here:  My garden blog

#5 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliall View Post

I am trying the Neptune's Harvest fish emulsion/algae mix.  I am using it at 1/4- 1/2 strength for my tomato and veggie seedlings.  I think I have historically under-fertilized my veggie seedlings, so I have high hopes for this year!   So far the seedlings look great--pictures here:  My garden blog

I am actually going with Neptune's as well. I think almost the exact one you bought..

Honestly, it is disgusting. I broke the bottle cap and got it all over myself. I almost puked!

Then I watered the seedlings with the mix and now all I can smell in the house is fish...ugh, oh and the dog has taken quite a liking to it and tried to dig up the seedlings and get at that awesome fishy smell. yay...

I cannot wait to stick my plants outside and not have to smell that stench...It went away after a couple days but I dread feeding them again.

#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM

My dog is all of a sudden VERY interested in my seedlings too wild.gif

My seed setup is in my basement storage room, so it doesn't bother me too much... but you are right: it is so gross.  On the flip side I have the healthiest looking seedlings I have ever had.

#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Goodness, I'm glad that I read this.  I have some Neptunes that I was planning to use too, but our seed set up is in our 12 yo DD's bedroom.  She loves having them in there, but a dead fish smell would NOT have gone over well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page