Dandelions and chemicals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have some dandelions in our yard, not that many but some.

Anyway. I just looked out the window and a guy who works for the court (trailer) is out in our yard sraying our dandelions. I am not sure what to do.

I don't want to use whatever nasty stuff he is using on our yard, we weren't bothered by the weeds, but appearently the owner was. I don't know what to do because they own the property I guess they think they have the right to spread their poisons.

Any help?

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-15-2002, 05:46 PM

Well, you could call them and tell them that you don't want them to spray and see what they say.....You could get your neighbors together and do a little education about how toxic they are, and see if they would sign a petition with you....you could wait until after a few rains, and then go out and dig a billion dandilions every day until they are down to a managable level.....

That's really lame. My first question when we were looking for places to rent was "do you use pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers on the grass?" It didn't stop the land lord from spraying an entire can of raid on a yellow jacket nest at ground level in the middle of the yard.....
#3 of 4 Old 05-18-2002, 11:40 AM

I agree about approaching the owner. However, you should offer him/her an alternative. Are you willing to dig up all of the dandelions yourself so that they don't seed and spread. You are unlikely to persuade him that dandelions are our friends, so you should offer to get rid of them by non chemicals means before they bloom.

We let dandelions, creeping charlie, and violets overrun our yard, but we own it.
#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2002, 12:45 AM

Spraying vinegar on the weeds will kill them (and anything else it's sprayed on).

My suggestion would be to tell the owner that you will maintain the dandelions by pulling/using vinegar if they stop using the chemicals on your lawn.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page