where to put the garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we just bought a nearly 4 acre farmstead. we are in very north Iowa and surrounded on all sides by crop ground. I am trying to figure out where to put the garden, strawberries and fruit trees. the land is all flat but the best places with the most sun seem to be on the edges of the property and I am afraid of herbicide drift when the crops are sprayed. we have the house, large barn 2 other out buildings and corn bins plus we are fencing off for my horse and maybe a cow so I need to make every bit of land count. any advice or experience with gardens near corn and bean fields?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats on the new home!  I followed the sun and would make note of how things were hourly in the areas I wanted to put a garden. I also was concerned about neighborly chemicals,so I tried to keep things inside the yard a bit. Drainage was also a big issue for me.

I spread the fruit trees and bushes out all around the yard.Some like orderly lined orchards.It is all about what you want. I will admit I have moved my currant and cherry  bushes 4 times. Sometimes you need a spot for some *new* idea,lol.

Consider the final size of the plants. I always planted my bushes so close together when I should have spaced them. I may loose plants to transplant shock since they are so big now.

Invest in a some good soil to go into the holes for the plants.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page