couple q/s from a newbie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you didn't have access to your garden site, would you start your peas and garlic inside?  I am starting my seeds and my garden isn't located on my land but on a friend and a cousin's and neither one is tilling till the mid-end of May, which is my planting season.  So start or just wait? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM

I would wait, but I think pea season will be over by then (although it depends on your climate). Here we plant garlic in the fall for spring harvest so I can't help ya there.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.  I am in SW WI, zone 5a.  I think I am going to wait, though I did decide to start my watermelon too. 

Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM

If you can start your melons and squash in peat containers that can be planted directly into the ground you'll minimize the transplant shock. The main reason they are considered direct sow crops is that their root systems are very fragile.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Peas do not like to transplant. I would still try to stick them in at the end of may in a cooler spot if you have one. Here I grow them all summer and they are fine. I put my garlic in last fall as well. And generally, I have heard, that root crops are things that you generally don't want to transplant as it disrupts the part of the plant that you really want to grow. Although, I guess onions would be an exception that that. So I guess I don't know! Watermelon I would definitely start. Are you growing anything else. Greens transplant well, squash, herbs, and tomatoes are all things that come to mind.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I did plant the watermelon in the peat pots.  I have also started my tomatoes, peppers, spinach, onions, leeks, and eggplant.  I am going to direct sow my yellow zucchini, lettuce, beets, squash and was thinking I would do the peas direct plant as well.  Oh and my garlic.  I was told by an employee at our local garden store that many people around here grow garlic during the summer growing season, so I guess I will give it a try.  If it doesn't work out, can I plant them in the fall and let them winter over?   THanks for all your help ladies!!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, plant them in the fall. That's what I do. Think of them like most other bulbs. They develop their roots over the winter (here anyway) and the tops take off in the spring. What I've heard about summer garlic (in California, where I am) is that you will just get a big swollen clove (what we call "spring" garlic) which is very tasty, but it won't develop a head...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

THanks!!! 

User Tag List