strawberres, tomatoes - fertilizer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

in our tiny little garden I have 25 strawberry crowns growing happy leaves :) but I wonder if they need fertilizer?  I'm pinching off flowers, reluctanty, in hopes that the roots systems will establish well and produce better fruit in coming seasons.  do they need fertilizer?

I've got three tiny wintersown tomato seedlings that I thought I'd lost but appear to have survived!  they have a few "true" leaves and are still just in seed starter medium.  they might need some sort of food, too, as I think the medium is just spaghnum(SP?!) or peat moss or something non-nutritive?

what sort of organic fertilizer might I use for these plants?  (or should I?)  I have compost sort of working/decomposing but it's not ready yet as there's still lots to break down.  and I just read somewhere on here a person saying "compost alone can't do it."  what are thoughts on that?

thanks, all! :)

and a random question I keep forgetting to ask: we have four sunflower seeds.  got the packet as a gift - they say they're a hybrid and "pollenless" IIRC - does that mean they won't have seeds?

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 5 Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM

yes, i would fertilize both. i fertilize my strawberries only once a year, but your state extension service should be able to tell you what's needed in your area. for the seedlings most people prefer liquid fertilizers so the nutrients are available to the plant right away.

IME people who say they grow their gardens on compost alone are always talking about compost that has animal manure in it. homemade, kitchen-scrap compost will help your soil retain nutrients better, but once it's finished it has typically used up a lot of its original nitrogen content, and some other nutrients can be lost through rainfall and wind, etc.  assuming you don't have animals, fertilizer will pay for itself in terms of increased productivity.  hth

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
#3 of 5 Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, mindymom.  I don't know why I never remember to ask our extension office this sort of stuff!

so what type of fertilizer might be good?  all the #-#-# codes are confusing... off to google.  thanks for the ideas and tips!

#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I had posted a couple of days ago about some volunteers in my compost - had photo links and all, but that whole thread is missing and instead this older thread is nearer the top.  I hope I didn't post incorrectly/violating any rules in that post! :(

Anyway, back to the topic of fertilizer:  I picked this up at Lowes as I'd heard of "fish emulsion."  Not even sure that's the same as what I bought, but this looked good.  Then when I got home I read the fine print: "not for use in organic food and crop production."  But I can't tell why that would be... http://www.lillymiller.com/labels/Alaska/AK_Fish_Fertilizer_5-1-1_gal.pdf

is something about this not organic?  feeling continuously clueless here but at least I've got plants growing, lol! "GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:Total Nitrogen (N)5.0%0.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen3.75% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen0.75% Water Insoluble Nitrogen*Available Phosphate (P2O5)1.0%Soluble Potash (K2O)1.0%Derived from Seagoing Fish Emulsion*0.75% slowly available nitrogen from

Seagoing Fish Emulsion"

So would you use this fertilizer?

#5 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I have a bottle of that same fertilizer on my back porch, which I used for my seedlings this year.  I didn't notice the statement you mentioned, so I am really curious and hoping someone else has some response.  I know a lot of people on this board recommend fish emulsion, which is why I decided to try it.  But I am not a strictly organic gardener, so I probably would have used it even if I had seen that statement.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page