Zone 3-5: what are you up to in the garden? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I remember the zone 3-5 thread from last year so thought I would start a new one.

I am so far resisting any desire to plant anything - frost date has not yet passed.

I overturned my compost bin from last fall it it had beautiful wet compostjoy.gif  My first compost ever.  I have restarted my indoor scrap bucket. 

I have also bought some soil, manure and a very cool toy - a weed puller.  I have very few tools, and this one is a winner.  IPulled 20 dandelions in under ten minutes with little loss of soil.

I have also decided this year to keep mulch between rows, and to give the squash their own garden (they keep  overtaking the rest of the garden).

so...what are you up to????

Kathy

#2 of 75 Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 PM

We have 6 inches of snow! At least the garlic and daffies are poking through. Also, the rose, elderberry and honeysuckle next to the house have tiny leaf buds on them. Spring can't be too far away.

ETA- zone 4 here, we don't usually plant much besides peas and carrots before June. Last year our last frost (very light) was in July.

#3 of 75 Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Zone 4 here.  It's been a cold, snowy spring so far, and I have absolutely nothing planted outside yet, partly because it's been so cold and partly because I've been too busy.  I have tomatoes growing inside, and I hope to plant peas, greens, onions, and potatoes soon.  Normally I would be thinking about putting the tomatoes outside in Wall O'Waters around now, but I think I'll want to let the soil warm up and dry out a little more.  And I got them started late this year, so they're still really small.

#4 of 75 Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 AM

I bought some unscreened topsiol($11 cheaper than screened) and replanted the nanking cherry that was dying in my yucky soil. What a pleasure it was to work with non-clay soil!

I planted raspberries and strawberries. Dug out some lambs ear and planted oinion bulbs in its place.Planted 2 grape vines. With gas being so high I decided to lessen the grassy areas,so I covered one spot with wood chips. Put wood chips in the chicken run too.

There is so much to do but the rain is water looging everything.

Oh I did weedwack too after I found a tick crawling on my leg INSIDE my pants.Ewwww ewwwww ewwww. I hate ticks more than fleas.

#5 of 75 Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 AM

We've had a long, cold, snowy spring too. I feel like we just reached the tipping point this week where you KNOW spring is actually here to stay. The grass has greened up this week, there are leaves coming on the lilac bushes.... and it's mostly stayed above 0C these days. (Last week it was not). 

I have tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, and other various little things started inside. They're still a bit small, but that's ok. They won't go out for another month! We have a last frost date of June 1st. DH and I are busy this weekend but starting tomorrow I'll be in the garden getting the beds ready. It's JUST getting to the point where I can do that. It was full of snow for the longest time and now it's drying out. I'm hoping to plant some things early this year; peas, onions, lettuce and other greens. 

This has been the worst spring as far back as I can remember. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#6 of 75 Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Zone 4b in central WI here, and we've had a horribly cool, wet spring here, too. I do have some things out in the garden - the snap peas are about an inch tall right now (planted in early April), and some of the turnips, radishes and lettuce are just getting their first set of leaves. My beets and purslane are also starting, and I have broccoli and brussels sprouts plants out.

The lilacs are just barely starting to leaf out, and the cherry and plum trees have buds but no leaves yet. I've planted 2 pear trees, and am waiting for a new apple tree to show up. I'm insanely happy about the new fruit trees, and am hoping that this is the year I get my first plums, but with the cold spring, it could be that the season is lost - we'll see.

Happy gardening to all my fellow cold weather gardeners!

#7 of 75 Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am newly transplanted to zone 5A (from 6B mecry.gif) and we bought a house with a TINY lot in a community with a HOA (vs. the half-acre back home where I could also keep laying hens).

Oh... sorry... do I sound bitter?

Anyway, just YESTERDAY I found out that there is a set of community garden plots nearby and I went down today to snatch TWO of them!!!!!  But of course, I have absolutely nothing started.  banghead.gif

I've decide that we're going to move forward and join a CSA, then use the community plots to grow stuff specifically for preserving for the winter.  So I'm trying to figure out what to grow RIGHT. NOW!!!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#8 of 75 Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Heather, you moved the wrong direction, but I guess you already knew that! ;) Congrats on the community garden plots. I do a combination of gardening in my yard and in the community garden. I could do everything in my yard, but the community garden is a lot of fun, and can be a great way to meet people.

Depending on where you are, your last frost date is probably right about now, so this is a great time to get started. Do you have your seeds already? Your growing season will be a few weeks longer than what I'm used to, but I've found I am happiest with my garden results when I pick the varieties of a veggie that are the fastest to ripen. So, if I am looking in a seed catalog, and there is a carrot with a maturity date of 65 days and one with 72, I'm going to go with the 65.

#9 of 75 Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Heather - tips for newbies to this zone:

keep a good eye on the calendar and get stuff in as soon as the frost date ends.  You can cover stuff with a blanket if you are expecting a frost and stuff is still in the garden.

I have had little luck starting peppers or tomatoes from seed - they just take too long to ripen.  I buy plants and transplant them.  You can try starting from seeds indoors - but I find they need to much babying for my scheduel.

#10 of 75 Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM

I started seeds indoors mid April (or somewhere in there) and just now sorted through them. Last year I started them in a shallow pan then transplanted the best ones to individual pots. It was a lot of extra work and I didn't like leaving any behind. So this year I decided I'd start 1-3 seeds in individual pots (about 2.5-3" across) but some of those seeds are really tiny and I accidentally planted a forest in some dishes. So again, I had to weed through and now have a pile of tomato and pepper carcasses. Such a waste! I found myself apologizing to them. I feel so sad.

Everything came up ok except my bell peppers. Only 3 out of 12 grew! I guess the seeds aren't very good. After thinning I added more soil to the pots, I'm trying to get some great root systems going. They're getting their first true leaves and I think I'll get out the fish emulsion fertilizer to give them a spritz. They won't be planted in the garden until June 1st. I hope it stops raining at some point so that I can get the garden space ready for them! Plus I vowed I would get some early greens going.... 

#11 of 75 Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh yeah... I totally know.  Job relocation.  I'm trying to have an attitude of gratitude that we have income.  eyesroll.gif

I joined TWO CSAs this year.  One share wasn't enough last year, we weren't sure which one of the remaining two to go with, and we figured we could preserve the extra.  It's going to also hopefully gain us a little insider info on how they're planting because we're looking for a plot of land and hope to have our own little CSA & herb farm of our own once we master gardening in this zone.

I have precious few seeds for the community garden plot.  I was going to focus more on herbs at the house and bought those.  And we're a Feingold family, so we can't eat tomatoes or peppers anyway.  Well, we can cheat, so I'm seriously considering some paste tomatoes to make some ketchup for the year.  But otherwise, tons of broccoli, green beans, zucchini, carrots, spinach, and some potatoes, onions, peas to dry and kidney beans to dry (anyone got an idea of what kind of pea & bean those would be??).  And maybe 2-3 pumpkins.  I THINK they should all do pretty well in the cold... oui?  Sheepish.gif

ETA: Where might one find organic, non-hybrid, non-GMO transplants for broccoli or cauliflower?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#12 of 75 Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 AM

You didn't move to the arctic! You're in zone 5 for Pete's sake. Have pity on those of us in 3 and 4! ROTFLMAO.gif Everything you listed will grow really well in the "cold". I'm not sure about broccoli seeing I've never grown it before but it should be fine. God. What I would do to grow in zone 5!!!!

#13 of 75 Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

You didn't move to the arctic! You're in zone 5 for Pete's sake. Have pity on those of us in 3 and 4! ROTFLMAO.gif

LMAO - yes, some of us do dream of a zone 5 growing season. At least you didn't move as far north as us! ;) Actually, although I've lived in the south, I've only ever gardened in zones 4 and 5, so maybe I'm dellusional, but a short season can be fun and challenging. And I like to think we appreciate spring in a way no southerner could possibly understand. ;)

What part of Illinois are you in? I'm north of you in Wisconsin, but where I am, it is quite easy to find organic broccoli seedlings. The garden centers here don't carry them, but you can get them at the farmer's market or at smaller nurseries. I found mine at a small local hardware store that gets their plants from an organic farm nearby. The local natural foods store also carries them. I think you'll probably have to just hunt around to find them near you. It might be a bit late to find broccoli, though. I noticed yesterday that the garden center near me no longer had any cole veggies. If all the broccoli plants are gone, you can still direct seed for a fall crop. I usually seed in early to mid June for fall broccoli.

Your other picks will all grow wonderfully here, and none of them (except the possible tomatoes, of course) need to be started ahead, so you should be fine direct seeding them.

#14 of 75 Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 AM

HI!   I'm in the upper N.E. and I think zone 5b?  Its nice to see you all. I was getting anxious in the food growing mamas thread. :)

I started some things really early march. On my windowsills I have beautiful mini bell peppers going, hot chinese 5 color peppers, and tomatoes which I just repotted because they are enormous!!  I am doing Baker creek seeds this year and have some fun tomatoes. Ananas Noire (pink and green) Black cherries and Delicious  (beefsteak)

In my garden patch I have spinach, lettuce, beets, carrots, and peas going.  I see my peas just starting to sprout but otherwise, just waiting waiting waiting, and hoping my kids remember to avoid those parts of the garden when they're running and digging. I also planted my broccoli and snapdragons that I started early march too. They are doing well so far.

This year we are doing a bean teepee and I am going to try sunflowers for the first time. Thinking about a sunflower house. But we'll see. I have heard they are hard to start because the birds eat the seeds.....

And I almost forgot- my asparagus is poking up!!  I love the sight of that!

#15 of 75 Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM

I'm Zone 3/4 here -- for years I've felt guilty that I never get my garden in until early June (once, mid-June bag.gif ).  But, I checked yesterday and our average last frost is June 6th.  My mom, who is firmly Zone 3, acts like I'm in the tropics --- but our last/first frost dates actually differ by a little less than a week in each direction. 

My gardening projects thus far have been:

1.  Started all my old (as in, 8 years old?) sweet pea seeds indoors in hopes of having some to transplant.  Despite nicking and soaking overnight in lukewarm water, I had only one germinate (!) .... I haven't decided which plants I'll start in my seedling trays instead now, I might actually do corn.  I read in Mother Earth News that corn actually transplants really well.  I've never actually started seeds indoors myself, because most springs we are gone for a significant amount of time and wouldn't be able to care for the seedlings while we're gone.  Instead, we usually buy seedlings at the local nursery.  I err towards the heirlooms, they may not have been started organically but at least they'll be organic once they hit my garden! 

2.  We tilled the garden last fall, so I was able to plant much earlier than usual this spring.  Yesterday, I got my first planting of peas/snow peas planted, as well as onions and my gladiolas.  I will wait on everything else 'til the end of the month (or more likely, June).

3.  I bought two of those polypropelene potato tubs to try this year.  My garden potatoes last year developed scab and from what I've read, that's pretty much THERE in my soil now.  So, we'll see whether compost in tubs works better.  I haven't decided where I'll put the tubs - I'm toying with the idea of putting them on the front steps, and planting something decorative in the bag with them, as if they're a floral planter.  Dh will complain if they are on the lawn itself anywhere, and they need to be accessible for watering.

4.  DD1 is in a gardening class at the local nursery.  They gave her a tree to plant for Arbor Day.  I have no idea where I'll plant it - it's a little Nanking Bush Cherry.  Hadn't been on my radar as a plant to squeeze into our garden plan.....

5.  My compost heap has been an open one for years, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do for a composter.  I've decided that the easiest thing to do will be to make my own vermicompost bin (science project with dd1!) - that way I don't have to trek out to a compost bin during the winter, through ice and snow.  We'll see how the project goes, right now I'm feeling really confident - and looking forward to those rich worm castings on my garden! 

6.  Today, I did the preliminary clearing of my flowerbeds (all the old dead stalks and leaves) - later this spring, I need to re-dig two large beds which have been overtaken by weeds.  And I need to go through all the beds and clear the grass etc. yet (I'm only halfway there at this point with the flowerbeds!). 

We are CSA members, Heatherdeg, so we actually grow three kinds of things in our garden - flowers, for the girls to enjoy and pick; food to preserve; and foods that our CSA doesn't provide in the quantities we would eat.  So, they give us tons of greens --- we don't grow spinach/kale/lettuce/chard anymore.  They give
a ton of tomatoes; so now I only grow a few tomato plants (a couple Black Krim, and a yellow pear).  But we only get a few bunches of peas and green beans, no dry beans, and not a lot of corn.  So my garden this year is:  peas, beans, dry beans, corn, carrots, parsnips, winter squash (Lakota and Sunshine), Lumina pumpkins, onions, zinnias, cosmos, calendula, Love-in-A-Mist (the red ones this time!), gladiolas, dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, my two potato tubs, a few tomatoes and eggplants, etc.  DD1 helped plan the garden with me, and chose yellow beans for both our bush and our pole beans. 

This year, I'm growing a lot of beans for drying.  I got Peregion, Jacob's Cattle, and a short-season Red Kidney.  We are also growing twice as many peas and snow peas.  DD2 doesn't like frozen or storebought peas, but will eat them out of the garden.  So I'm hoping she'll eat what I freeze from the garden too?  Also, the deer got into my peas last year midseason, and both varieties regenerated and looked even better after their pruning.  So my Grande Experimente this year is to trim my peas down along one side of my pea fence, and see whether I can generate a good second crop that way. 

The girls really like sunflowers - I got our usual sunflower seeds.  My aunt suggested that the toxins in their roots had been the reason that my pole beans (planted with them) hadn't done as well last year.  I'm thinking about trying that "plant them in a bag of compost" method with them....  ? 

We are battling ants, which have for a couple years been removing the compost I add to my strawberry bed, to build themselves a nice anthill.  I'm thinking about moving my strawberry bed entirely - they haven't done well there at all, my harvest has been only handfuls.  We are in the middle of remodeling the house, with long-term plans to build raised beds and coldframes for the garden, and lots of fruit bushes/trees/perennials to establish.  We have four apple trees and a pie cherry already planted (this is year 3 for them), but want to get a raspberry bed, acidify a bed for blueberries, etc. - move to more of our fruit coming from our own yard (we live in town so it's a question of really managing our space well). 

Not all who wander are lost.
#16 of 75 Old 05-08-2011, 05:13 AM

Good to know about the sunflower roots! I was thinking of planting them where my beans will be. 

Do strawberries like a lot of water?  I have a really large prolific raspberry patch at the back of my property and the area around it is really weedy and marshy in spring. I was thinking about having it dug out and then planting a strawberry bed there.....

#17 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

I have precious few seeds for the community garden plot.  I was going to focus more on herbs at the house and bought those.  And we're a Feingold family, so we can't eat tomatoes or peppers anyway.  Well, we can cheat, so I'm seriously considering some paste tomatoes to make some ketchup for the year.  But otherwise, tons of broccoli, green beans, zucchini, carrots, spinach, and some potatoes, onions, peas to dry and kidney beans to dry (anyone got an idea of what kind of pea & bean those would be??).  And maybe 2-3 pumpkins.  I THINK they should all do pretty well in the cold... oui?  Sheepish.gif

ETA: Where might one find organic, non-hybrid, non-GMO transplants for broccoli or cauliflower?

Kidney beans = red kidney beans.  I've gotten them from Heirloom Acres (they take a long time to ship though - like 3 weeks), and someplace else I can't remember. 
Peas... pretty much any shelling pea.  I've dehydrated peas from the yard (um, yeah, be careful you don't burn them like I have a tendency to do) and from a frozen veggie sale at the grocery store.  :)

Pumpkins, get shorter season ones. 
Potatoes and onions need to be planted shortly if you want to harvest decently later on.

Non-GMO transplants...  your best bet will be a local nursery or farmer's market or some connection you find from there.  Ask your CSA's, too.  Odds are they know the hippies.  ;)

Chilly zone 5 here.  Saw an 8-12" asparagus stalk today in the yard.  Whoa.  Didn't expect that.  It's a dandelion forest out there, and the kids have been pokey about harvesting the dandelion heads for me (to make jelly).  Lots of weeds everywhere you look.  Need to work on it.  Have garlic coming up, spinach and broccoli in the ground, three tomato plants in wall-o-waters.  A few things in the greenhouse, including a giant ant nest.  Sigh.  At least my dozen fruit trees are showing signs of life, that's always good.
Also need to work on the lawn - we've ignored it for years, and I'm sure the previous owners used chemicals, so now it's kind of sucking and bothering hubby (I really don't care as long as he mows it a time or three during the summer).  I'm thinking a boatload of compost/manure from someplace and just re-seeding may be in order rather than trying to weed or let hubby use some random something he's still got in the garage or whatever.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#18 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 AM

This is my second year in the garden and l LOVE how much easier it is this time with most of the hard work of preparing the space and putting up a fence finished. I've been turning the beds with a pitchfork and now toying with the idea of making raised beds. Right now they're just heaps of dirt. I don't have a lot of problems with weeds in the 4' wide beds. Have to do a light weeding early on but once veggies grow they block out the weeds. It's weeds in the pathways that get to me. I'm thinking that if I build raised beds I can just let the (crab? switch?) grass grow in the paths and mow it. We have some very old, non treated, raw/unfinished wood laying around because we just ripped down our old carport. The roof was made with planks of wood about 1.25" thick and then covered with tin so the wood stayed protected all those years. I had hoped to put cardboard and straw down in the pathways but I'm having a hard time finding straw at a decent price plus wondering what sort of pests/pesticides I would be introducing to the garden...

Our last frost date is June 1st and I'm amazed to say that maybe I WILL get some early crops in this year. I was sort of wondering. We were having so much rain I couldn't get out to prep the beds!

#19 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ok - can you plant lettuce and carrots before the frost date?  I think you can and I am itching to get things in the ground......

I actually drew a garden plan this week, and have decided to use grass clippings as mulch.   It is  not perfect, but it is free and I like free.  

I am also going to either edge my veggie garden with a trench or heavily mulch it to prevent #$%& grass from creeping in.  I am not an anti grass or weed zealot, but my garden is small, so I feel like I have to be carefull.   

So - what are you planting?

My list:

herbs:  basil, cilantro.  I have oregano and parsley in from last year.  Oregano seems to be a perrenial, and does so well here.  The parsley is supposed to last 2 years, but I swear this is year 3 or 4.  it is getting quite small, so I will reseed.  If I have thyme I will plant it.

Chives - I know it is late, but oh well

Garlic - I have some in and they are doing great.  I also have some wild garlic at the back of the property.  

Mesclun mix.  I have planted regular lettuce in the past, but I really do prefer a variety in my salad.

Carrots.  Purple.  For my DD

tomatos - probably from bought seedling.  I have a few cherry tomato seeds I am going to start from seed in peat pots today.  My track record on starting from seed iindoors lousy, but I know they will not have enough time if I do wait until the last frost date to sow 

Brocoli.  first year - we will se how it goes.

Potatoes - I am trying to decide whether to buy seed potatoes or use the things sprouting in my cupboard.

Squash - butternut.  Lovely things are getting their own garden this year as they take over!!!!

#20 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM

I'm not doing very well this year. I've got some things planted in the garden. I had some flats of tomatoes and peppers that looked good and I decided to start hardening them off yesterday. Of course I forgot they were outside. I remembered about 4am that I forgot to bring them in. They're on the picnic table under the deck so they're protected from the sun and too much wind. We did have a pretty good thunderstorm last night and they're looking beaten down this morning. I guess they're just getting tough love this year.

I think I'll put everything in the ground sometime next week. I need to get the first planting of sweet corn going too. I didn't start anywhere near enough things this year so I'll definitely be going down the road to the local greenhouse and buying a few more flats of veggies. Either that or I'll have to plant more pumpkins and melons than I had planned. They're pretty good at taking up lots of space.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#21 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

I need to recheck this but I was thinking of planting greens, lettuce, peas, beans (staggered), and maybe some root veggies before the last frost date. Maybe using row covers. 

I have 6 kinds of tomatoes planted indoors and 3 kinds of peppers. I'm going to wait and see how they look by June 1st (our last frost date) but I might buy some bell pepper and tomato seedlings to go along with so that I can eat them sooner. Last year my tomatoes were GREAT but they didn't ripen until September/October..... and most of them on my windowsill. The peppers were only starting to grow by the time it turned cold. I have some ideas on how to fix that this year but I like to have a backup too.

So, this year I'm planting:

cucumbers, watermelon (special kind for our zone... I think it's Sugar Baby?), squash, pumpkin, zucchini

onions (2 kinds), dill, parsley, basil, maybe the odd herb that jumps out at me when shopping

chard, kale, spinach

peas, beans

carrots, turnip, parsnip, beets, radishes 

enough corn to eat fresh a couple times

Tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers

Potatoes

I don't think I'm missing anything... My goal is to grow enough to eat fresh during the summer and to put away for winter. With last summer's garden I was eating potatoes until January and tomato sauce until February. I think I still have a couple bags of beans and shredded zucchini in the freezer.... I'm very excited for this year's garden and I have SO MUCH MORE confidence than last year. It's nice not to be a newb!

#22 of 75 Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

This is my second year in the garden and l LOVE how much easier it is this time with most of the hard work of preparing the space and putting up a fence finished. I've been turning the beds with a pitchfork and now toying with the idea of making raised beds. Right now they're just heaps of dirt. I don't have a lot of problems with weeds in the 4' wide beds. Have to do a light weeding early on but once veggies grow they block out the weeds. It's weeds in the pathways that get to me. I'm thinking that if I build raised beds I can just let the (crab? switch?) grass grow in the paths and mow it. We have some very old, non treated, raw/unfinished wood laying around because we just ripped down our old carport. The roof was made with planks of wood about 1.25" thick and then covered with tin so the wood stayed protected all those years. I had hoped to put cardboard and straw down in the pathways but I'm having a hard time finding straw at a decent price plus wondering what sort of pests/pesticides I would be introducing to the garden...

You'll need to have airtight bottoms on the raised beds to keep the crabgrass completely out.  Ask me how I know.  eyesroll.gif 
Odds are hubby and I (well, mostly the awesome hubby) will be ripping out our three 4'x12' raised beds, re-tilling up the whole mess after I pull out a few things (some strawberries that survived me trying to kill them, some pansies, maybe some parsley), re-organizing the layout of the beds, just turning it into another section of garden, and throwing down landscape fabric and wood chips for walking paths and pea gravel on all the edges at a diagonal for about 8" deep/out to keep the main lawn grass from encroaching.  Again. 
Right now I'm loving my 5-8 gallon pots of random planted stuff.  Very little weeding.  Takes some heavy lifting and major seed setting for the blasted crabgrass to get all the way up into those.  I just mix up my regular yard/garden soil, compost, a smidge of coconut fiber, and perlite to lighten the load (I do have to haul things across the yard here and there) and plant away.  I've got strawberries I'm trying to rescue (crabgrass got the beds, see above), daylilies and asparagus and pear trees that overwintered and are greening up again, thyme, chives, daisies or daffodils in another, and so on.  Bonus is that when I throw the pots down for a month at a time?  I kill the weeds underneath.  Can't beat that.  :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Ok - can you plant lettuce and carrots before the frost date?  I think you can and I am itching to get things in the ground......

herbs:  basil, cilantro.  I have oregano and parsley in from last year.  Oregano seems to be a perrenial, and does so well here.  The parsley is supposed to last 2 years, but I swear this is year 3 or 4.  it is getting quite small, so I will reseed.  If I have thyme I will plant it.

Yes.  Lettuce/spinach/broccoli and such are fine for light freezes.  Carrots will just take for.ev.er. to germinate though.  So yeah.  I've gotten lazy and just plant carrots in July so I can harvest them in the fall.  They germinate in less than a week, even the seeds I've saved myself.

Parsley is every two years.  If you let it go to seed last year though?  Odds are the teeny ones you see are the seeds going to town and starting to grow.  I haven't purposely planted parsley in a good 3, maybe 4 years now.  One plant went to seed, I saved seeds, it went nuts, I harvested, then those went to seed the next year, I harvested, and so on.  Last year my garden was even more of a mess.  And I had probably 5 dozen parsley plants despite the "attention."  As in, I still ended up with 3 pints of dried parsley, gave a bunch of fresh/dried to friends, and hacked more off for whatever reason.

Chives, you'll be fine.  They may be slow to start this year, but once they get established?  Look out.  I have a good six 8-10" diameter chive plants now.  That came from a single 4" pot 6-7 years ago.  I've split it at least 3-4 times, given away pots of it, harvested a ton, abused it, and so on.  And I still need to dig it up again and give away more this year.  Oof.  While I totally groove on the hardy stuff, dang, I could use a year off of the insane growing with some of them.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#23 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

It is something like day 5 of rain!!!  Everything that is in the ground (very little) is growing well - sadly so are the weeds!  I actually tried to pull some weeds yesterday (ha!) but the 8 degrees  (45 ish in Farenheit?) made it a short excursion to the garden.

I saw tomato seedling today at the grocery store - I am trying to resist for a couple more weeks.

I am going to focus on early maturing ones, because I always find it takes longer than the package says for harvest.  if the package says 65-70 days, you can bet it is going to be 75-80.  I was harvesting tomatoes into very early October last year....

Kathy

#24 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

I had the same problem with my tomatoes last year! 

Today, for the first time in almost a week we finally had some clear weather.... and I had to stay close to the phone, waiting for a phone call! We've had so much rain lately that I've started checking the hourly breakdown of the weather to see if there are any clear windows. lol.gif Tomorrow and Friday are questionable, Saturday will be nice but I think I have a birthday party to go to.... Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and work in the rain. Well, during sprinkles, not during a downpour! 

#25 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Rain, rain, rain here, too. We've been trying to get our fence in at the Community Garden, and it has just been way too wet. We'll have a day or two of sun during the week, but most of the week (and all of the weekend, it seems) is wet. It makes it impossible to plan!

Question: How many of you ladies have fruit trees? What kind? Are they blossoming yet? I have 2 plums (in their 4th year), 1 sour cherry (3rd year), 1 sweet cherry (2nd year), 2 pears and 1 apple (1st year). I was really hoping this would be the year I'd finally get plums, but I haven't seen a single blossom yet. I'm so disappointed!

#26 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Zone 5a here......  

So far I've started seedlings of organic carrots, watermelon and green beans.  Also basil, cilantro and cucumbers.   I

I had DH build a low fence to keep the dog out

I tilled 1/2 of my garden (it's pretty big for a beginer like me.  About 15 x 10)....and planted potatoes, broccoli, onions and sweet peas. 

I also planted a raspberry and blueberry twig.  They aren't doing anything.

I have a large strawberry patch that is flowering already and my apple and peach trees are doing well too!!!

I also transplanted a bunch of lambs ears and hostas in the front bed under the windows.  And planted annuals in 2 of the other beds.  I created some rock borders for a small bed in front of the fence and mailbox.

This weekend I'm planning on transplanting some rose of sharons and tilling/planting in the other side bed and the walkway bed.  

No wonder my body aches!!

ETA that I've started a compost pile also! 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#27 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

Question: How many of you ladies have fruit trees? What kind? Are they blossoming yet? I have 2 plums (in their 4th year), 1 sour cherry (3rd year), 1 sweet cherry (2nd year), 2 pears and 1 apple (1st year). I was really hoping this would be the year I'd finally get plums, but I haven't seen a single blossom yet. I'm so disappointed!

One plum tree - it is in bloom, as are some other local fruit trees.

Zone 4 or 5.

Our plum tree is 8 years old - for the first 5 or so it gave us nothing; 2 years ago we got some plums, last year we got oodles of small, tart plums.  (we tried to make plum wine and failed).  It turns out plums need to be 4-6 yrs old to have fruit according to this site, fingers crossed it will happen for you this year!:

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/fruittreesfail.html

#28 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Whew, Jenni, so much going on!

I've been aching to buy flowers but I keep them as a reward for when the tough garden work is done. I plant them throughout the garden (companion planting style) and use them as row markers. It helps make the garden look nice before all the veggies grow. Turns out the birthday party is Sunday so I get to spend sunny Saturday in the garden! Yay! :)

#29 of 75 Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

One plum tree - it is in bloom, as are some other local fruit trees.

Zone 4 or 5.

Our plum tree is 8 years old - for the first 5 or so it gave us nothing; 2 years ago we got some plums, last year we got oodles of small, tart plums.  (we tried to make plum wine and failed).  It turns out plums need to be 4-6 yrs old to have fruit according to this site, fingers crossed it will happen for you this year!:

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/fruittreesfail.html

Thanks for the link! That'll teach me to listen to the nursery I bought the trees from - they led me to believe I should expect fruit in 2-4 years, so I thought I was getting to the outside of the range, when I'm really just getting to it. One of the little trees fooled me into thinking it would be precocious - it flowered the 2nd year it was in, and put out 2 little plums. I picked the plums off as soon as they appeared that year since it was so young, and assumed I'd be seeing flowers again soon. Oh, well.

I'm jealous of your plum tree! One of mine is a prune plum. Every fall my mom and sisters and I get together and make my grandma's plum dumplings together with prune plums from the store. I'm dying to make them with plums from my own tree!

#30 of 75 Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 AM

The black flies are killing me. Every time I go out to work, rain or shine, they're out there. If we could just get a very windy day I could get a lot of work done! I have bites on my arms, one on my leg and one on my cheek. I was so itchy in the night that I started dreaming about them! Any tips on dodging the black flies? So far I've tried some sort of family fun bug spray (comes in a squirt bottle) and skin so soft, neither works. And there's nothing like the feeling of having one go up your nose. Help!

So I've been working a little here, a little there and it's starting to add up. I may not use the tiller this year (still unsure about two sections). I've been turning the dirt in the beds by pitchfork and pulling weeds out by hand (vs raking). It is more work this way but I don't mind. Plus the dirt's pretty fluffy so it's not bad. I have 9 beds turned and ready to be planted, 1 more to go and a section (corn/squash) to do something with.... cover with something temporary to kill weeds? mulch? till? Oh, and the beds are HUGE. 3-4' feet across by.... 15-20' feet long. I feel so happy to be making so much progress considering the rain. 

I went out this morning, planted pole beans and mulched all the way around them. 

I've moved some of my peppers and tomatoes out to our carport (the winter tent kind). We ripped down our real carport and are using the temporary one as storage for now so I can't really plant in it. YET! That's my goal for next year! I figure for now it would make a great place for seedlings to sit. 

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought flowers. ;) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page