Can i save my seedlings? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!

I hope you can help me save some of my seedlings.  I had successfully started some heirloom tomato seedlings, some cucumber seedlings and some squash seedlings inside this year.  As our weather was starting to warm up, even though they were all still small (the cucumbers were tall, but still with just two leaves, the tomatoes only about 3" tall with two leaves) I thought I would start offering them some outside time.  Well, in true sleep deprived mama-ness, I forgot.  Now my cucumbers and squash are toppling over, but the leaves still look good.  And the tomatoes are still standing, but the leaves are wrinkling up.  

Ugh.  I know I tried to harden them off too soon and shouldn't have forgotten them.  Is all hope lost or can they still be saved?  I have them all back inside now.

Thanks!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#2 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah...I've done that.  I had some tomatoes out in my cold frame a couple years ago that got too tall, so I took them out (thinking I'd take them inside if frost was called for) and then...well, I forgot.  My tomatoes did come back - the frostbitten leaves all died but the plants were pretty big and managed to recover and do quite well that year.  I hope it works out for you, but you might want to plant a second round now, just in case.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
#3 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Are they falling over for lack of water or what?

#4 of 4 Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, they've been well misted daily.  I thought I had lost the cucumber even and left it alone, but one came back from the dead today!  So I'm misting them again and will see what happens...

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page