Anyone have any luck with topsy turvy planting? And a bonus carrot/corn/green bean question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have already lost one tomato plant - it went yellow and curly on me and the second plant is dying on the edges - not yellowing but the edges of the leaves look dead. I think I just got what I paid for plant wise, but wanted to try something in there.

I was planning on emptying the dirt and from there replacing the plant and sifting to make sure no roots remain.  I also have some compost to add.

For the carrot corn and bush bean question: I have an abundance of plants that took off. I think I planted them wrong and now the carrots look like grass the tops are coming through so thick. They are about 1.5 in long and I was wondering if I should cull some out or what? Same with the corn and green beans. I want to transplant some green beans to a planter. I may just do that with the topsy turvy dirt and forget them. I have not been impressed, but maybe I just am doing it wrong.

Thank you in advance, and any advice is helpful! I am such a newbie, but a happy newbie! I am positively giddy for fall and taters.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 AM

I really didn't have luck with the topsy turvy planter. There is so little soil in there and you have to water it EVERY single day or it dries out and the plant dies. I got a few little tomatoes off it before we had to go out of town for three days and came back to a stressed and mostly dried plant. It never really grew or set more flowers after that and then just yellowed up and died.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My neighbor had one. Seemed to be doing well until their 3 yr old twins picked off all the tomatoes before they were ripe.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I was contemplating setting a milk jug bottom half in there with some holes poked to keep it more hydrated. I water daily. It's a total PITA.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL

User Tag List