how can I kill this plant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a massive daylilly in my garden that has turned above-ground tuberous.  I've already dug up and divided all its "babies" which yielded 50+ plants.  However the tuberous daylilly is a dreadful eyesore, does not flower, has strange, sharp, spiky leaves, and is as thick and deep as a tree trunk so I can't just dig it up.  We don't have a chainsaw to chop it down either.  I have tried cutting back anything green and covering it with an upside down garbage can to block all light-- I just looked at it today and it is still happily sending out bright green leaves.  Is there anything else I can try short of using herbicides?

#2 of 6 Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 AM

can you burn it?  is it far enough from your house or anything that would hurt?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM

I would try drowning it with white vinegar.  I just did this with a huge comfrey plant that I had in my yard.  I used 2 1 1/2 gallon bottles of white vinegar before it worked.

#4 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 PM

I would weedwack it as low as possible, then put a layer of thick, black plastic over it. It will take awhile (weeks to months) to kill it, but the combo of heat and darkness should do it in in time.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#5 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Can you hack at it w/ an axe, pruning saw, sharp shooter shovel, or otherwise start to work it down and out? Maybe drill it in a few places and start to pull it apart? Hammer a screw driver into it here and there and chip it apart?

I had a similar experienc w/ a grapevine that a former owner planted 0" from the house. I couldn't get around it, I couldn't get under it, I couldn't do anything with it, and it kept putting out shoots. Every year I hacked at it a bit, cut off the shoots, did what I could to the stump. I kept it from spouting for a few years and this year wiht the ground very wet I was successful at finally pulling it out.

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM

F$#king daylillies.  I am still battling a fair amount in my yard...

I did a lot of research n getting rid of them and the covering them with plastic seems to be the way.  Its a long term thing, but the only option unless you can get your hands on some construction equiptment to dig it up.

Good luck!  I got most of mine up by getting under them but it was HARD work and I'm still yanking out shoots weekly.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page