*~May Food Growing Mamas Thread!!!~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry a thread didn't get started for this month.  I thought someone else was going to start it, that's ok, they can do it for June, though May seems like its almost over already.  I just finally got most of my warm season crops in on Saturday.  Late, but that's ok, first trimester was a bear. 

Getting new pics to post of the garden on my blog as we speak.  http://cathyanddave.blogspot.com/2011/05/we-planted-garden-yay.html

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM

I just updated my blog with veggie garden photos too... of course, I got interrupted and didn't finish, but it is mostly there...  its the busy time between spring and summer, and the garden is FULL -- I have plants in pots waiting for the cool season stuff to get done.

http://muddytoesandgarbanzos.blogspot.com

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM

My garden is overfull. I had to cull some bush beans and what I thought were peppers turned out to be squash... but otherwise all is looking pretty good. I get to harvest some collards and jalapenos. We also are loving the herb area. I need rosemary but will have to pot it.

http://magpiedelights.blogspot.com/2011/05/garden-update.html

I love seeing your updates!

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Ugh. I can't come here anymore, it makes me want to cry! ;) My garden is a pile of dirt and my seedlings are still indoors. No wonder us zone 3-5er's have our own thread. lol.gif

Your gardens look beautiful. :)

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

Ugh. I can't come here anymore, it makes me want to cry! ;) My garden is a pile of dirt and my seedlings are still indoors. No wonder us zone 3-5er's have our own thread. lol.gif

I'm with you, Heather! lol.gif Though I'm a little warmer in 6 I still don't have anything to harvest for my work so far.  It's my first garden and it wasn't even built until right before all my summer-harvestables needed to go into the ground so we didn't get any sort of cold harvest (baby steps!).

I was just out there in the drizzly rain while the little ones were napping and I'm so excited that everything is actually growing and getting bigger!  I feel like I just conquered a mountain or something when really all I did was allow a bunch of seed to do exactly what they were designed to do.  I'm so excited!  DH keeps teasing me that he's going to start a hobby that requires all sorts of work and participation from me since my new gardening endeavor required so much work from him.  I just laugh at him.

All of your gardens are looking lovely, I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading what you've all planted.  I'm already adding to next year's list and I haven't eaten anything from this year's yet Sheepish.gif

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Cathy, Lunita and Jennifer - thanks for sharing your blogs! The pics are awwwwesome!!!

Heather - Have you read Eliot Coleman books? He lives in Maine and specializes in cold zone gardening. I have his book "Four Season Harvest" and it is great for recommending hardy varities and tips on cold framing, cloches and portable greenhouses. I think he's had shows on public TV too and hear he is quite a charator! Here is his website: http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/index.html 

I am in zone 8 in Oregon but we've had quite and cold spring. Finally in May things are back to normal with a few sunny dry days, followed by massive spring showers. Just what a garden loves and mine is sprouting up nicely with: carrots, peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, chard, broc, cabbage and radish.

The summer veg is BLAH. We've either blown it my not starting them indoors early enough or the seeds are not germinated or the seeds that germinated up n died :-( Might have to succumb to transplants for squash and tomatoes ...   

Rhianna

Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

What she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Heather - Have you read Eliot Coleman books? He lives in Maine and specializes in cold zone gardening. I have his book "Four Season Harvest" and it is great for recommending hardy varieties and tips on cold framing, cloches and portable greenhouses. I think he's had shows on public TV too and hear he is quite a character! Here is his website: http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/index.html

Takes time and planning to do this though.  It's one of my goals this year, and I've had my yard *full* of stuff for a good 4 years now.  His books are totally worth buying - his little rabbit trails of stories are amusing.

Um, I have three tomatoes in kozy koats (rest are in the greenhouse).  Garlic's up, as are overwintered pansies that happily surprised me.  Been harvesting asparagus for a few days now.  Tiny little fistfuls, but still.  Some of the strawberries are trying to green up, and the ones I have in pots are doing great.  Need to dig up some of the chives-gone-mad.  Love that they're unkillable, but damn.  I've given away so many clumps of it in the last several years as it is.  Raspberries are starting to green up again, so I need to go through that mess and clean it up.  Been harvesting dandelion heads.  Need another few cups of the leaves though to make the jelly though.

And I snagged a few willow branches from the neighbor's yard (with permission), to make some root brew.  I'm planning to take some grape cuttings from my fabulous and yummy Concord grape vine, and trying the willow branch tea, honey and commercial root hormone stuff to see which does best.  For when I want to do this again.  Mwahaha.  We need more grape vines though.  And bonus if I can do it myself and not really have to pay $8-$17/twig from Home Depot.

Yes, my ideas and plans are rather schitzo and all over the place.  It's okay, I know.  ;)

Oh, and Cathy?  I still haven't done this year's garden plan on graph paper!  I know, me!?!  I have no idea what's going on, either.  I'm just completely winging it this year apparently.  Which reminds me...  those of you who still know the details of companion planting - potatoes.  What can/can't I grow by them?  I only have a few places I *might* be able to throw them down, and all I can remember is that they can't go next to the raspberries.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:16 AM

I wanted to start a May thread but got sidetracked with term papers. I'll be out of the country when june comes around, but this is the kind of thing I was hoping to add:

Member Zone Site Favorite cultivar
Farmer Cathy   Blog  
lunita1   Blog  
RosieL 7    
Magpie1972   Blog  

Don't know your zone? Look here: http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Also, I think this is a talk and video all here would enjoy. Be sure to watch (or skip to) the video-in-video portion. It's absolutely breathtaking. http://blog.ted.com/2011/05/06/the-hidden-beauty-of-pollination-louie-schwartzberg-on-ted-com/

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM

RosieL, I'm in zone 9. I live in the town that FarmerCathy lived in in her former life.  :) 

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM

That was beautiful, thank you so much for sharing! :)

If you want to add me to the list, I have a blog http://heatherathomeinthetownships.blogspot.com/ and I'm in zone 4. 

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Heather - Have you read Eliot Coleman books? He lives in Maine and specializes in cold zone gardening. I have his book "Four Season Harvest" and it is great for recommending hardy varities and tips on cold framing, cloches and portable greenhouses. I think he's had shows on public TV too and hear he is quite a charator! Here is his website: http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/index.html 

I've never heard of him, thanks! I have read up a little on season extension etc but it does take a while to get to that place. Last year was my first year gardening and it was all I could do to get my garden together by the last frost date (June 1st). I was hoping to get some things in earlier this year but with all this rain I'm having a hard time getting anything done! Hoping to extend the season late and now I have better ideas on how to put the garden to rest for the winter so that it's quicker to get started in the spring. 

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM

I think it might work if people add themselves to the list. Quote this post, tab through the table to add another row, then add yourself and links. Once we had a critical mass it'll be nice to be able to quick see who is in what zone, and who has blogs that we can learn from. :) 

Farmer Cathy   Blog  
lunita1 9 Blog  
RosieL 7 Garden Log  
Magpie1972   Blog  
HeatherAtHome 4 Blog  

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks for that link. I'm thinking about building a hoophouse next year for Summer stuff, so I can get them in early. I'd have a lot of reading to do, however. Dunno what the Summer will bring!

Quote:

Cathy, Lunita and Jennifer - thanks for sharing your blogs! The pics are awwwwesome!!!

I am in zone 8 in Oregon but we've had quite and cold spring. Finally in May things are back to normal with a few sunny dry days, followed by massive spring showers. Just what a garden loves and mine is sprouting up nicely with: carrots, peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, chard, broc, cabbage and radish.

The summer veg is BLAH. We've either blown it my not starting them indoors early enough or the seeds are not germinated or the seeds that germinated up n died :-( Might have to succumb to transplants for squash and tomatoes ...   

Rhianna

Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 AM

It's been a few years!

Congratulations Farmer Cathy!!!!

For some bizarre reason despite our drought I've managed a fairly decent garden this year! In my backyard, the front garden is pitiful. :( I planted the back a month earlier and that seems to have been the Golden Month or something!  My partner built me a pretty rocking structure. Our neighbor gave us a metal greenhouse hoop frame. Partner build a U shaped bed out of untreated wood to fit inside the frame so I have a path. Covered the frame with metal caging (so squash, tomatoes and beans can grow over the hoop making a nice shady canopy for me to harvest in. He put our old storm/screen door on the front, so our chickens can't attack the plants. It's awesome! If the summer gets too hot I'll cover with shade cloth, then in the fall I can use row cover over it, we can walk in it, it's so cool. Some gals want a walk in closet, I wanted a walk in garden. I can post a pic if the description is too wonky! :)

Matt's Wild Cherry have naturalized in our yard, it's crazy, they've only been producing for a few days and today I picked 6 ounces of tiny cherry tomatoes. (and only the ripest of them) I'm happy to watch the pattison squash and Turk's Turban grow! (pattison is just at a harvestable size) For once I have cucumber plants growing and flowering all up a good 3 feet, but not one fruit set! gah! I've gone nuts on butterfly plants this year, so far a few and an ever present red wasp. (eh, they pollinate, but I don't really want to work up next to them!)

Someone in the rodent family is eating the ends off of our unripe peaches. :(

I'm in zone 8b in Central Texas, near Austin.

I have more going on, but will need to come back to gab about it!

Does anyone have a great pizza sauce recipe????  

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM

jessaries your setup sounds really cool! Any pictures to share? 

Old 05-20-2011, 03:34 PM

jessaries - I just use regular tomato sauce (bonus if it's home-canned) and sometimes mix in tomato powder or tomato paste to thicken it up a little if need be, and sprinkle on my Italian Seasoning blend.  Easy peasy.  That way I can be lazy and just do regular tomato sauce, but water bath can in 4oz jars for this particular purpose.

I totally want a photo of the walk-in garden.  It's just much more fun seeing the fun stuff.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I would love if y'all could tell this online newbie how to start a garden blog.  Who I am:  a former professional gardener (not landscaper) BK (Before Kids).  Then for 3 years I wrote a gardening column for our small town monthly newsletter.  It was called "The Welcome Garden" and was written not with expertise in mind, but as an avid and curious gardener with a different perspective on gardening and wild things that most residents here had access to.  Two kids, homeschooling, and finally, the death of my dad put writing on the backburner for nearly a year.   I've recently thought a blog or a facebook page could reach many of my old readers, plus new ones, and take the burden of one long article off my shoulders.

How do I start?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Hi SweetSilver! I think the easiest way to start is sign up for an account on blogger (http://www.blogger.com/home?pli=1) or Wordpress (http://wordpress.com/), then click "create your blog now" and start blogging away. I think blogger is probably easiest, but wordpress would be in a format that would be easy to move later. If, for instance, your blog takes off and you want to establish a website for it specifically, you could easily transfer a wordpress.com blog to your own "SweetSilver.com" site or the like. Good luck! 

What's in the garden now?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

I think it might work if people add themselves to the list. Quote this post, tab through the table to add another row, then add yourself and links. Once we had a critical mass it'll be nice to be able to quick see who is in what zone, and who has blogs that we can learn from. :) 

Farmer Cathy   Blog  
lunita1 9 Blog  
RosieL 7 Garden Log  
Magpie1972   Blog  
HeatherAtHome 4 Blog  

I'm zone 7 now.  thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post

RosieL, I'm in zone 9. I live in the town that FarmerCathy lived in in her former life.  :) 

Which one?  Smartsville, Sac? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

Oh, and Cathy?  I still haven't done this year's garden plan on graph paper!  I know, me!?!  I have no idea what's going on, either.  I'm just completely winging it this year apparently.  Which reminds me...  those of you who still know the details of companion planting - potatoes.  What can/can't I grow by them?  I only have a few places I *might* be able to throw them down, and all I can remember is that they can't go next to the raspberries.

Hah!!  I did write down where everything was planted, but that's it, I just started planting and wrote it down as I went.  :)  I did plant like things in like plots though.  Looking forward to adding what my ds puts in his little plot.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Our garden, which I call the Welcome Garden, is in Zone 7 in the oak prairies of the South Puget Sound (near Olympia, WA, but away from the water which makes a big difference in what overwinters and planting times).

The good: (yaaaay!)  

Rhubarb is growing like mad this year; last year's heavy harvest didn't hurt it one bit.  I give credit to the "chicken-y hay".  (The old girls aren't laying eggs, but they eat the weeds and make loads of poop.)  Overwintered kale is blooming brightly and still giving a respectable harvest.  Self-sown kale is about two inches high.  Seeds (chard, arugula, planted a bit late because of our dreary, cold spring) are finally sprouting.  Broccoli starts taking off.  Need to buy more.  Peas outgrowing yearly weevil damage and ready for staking.  "Tri-star" strawberries bloooming madly.  (Am I really supposed to pinch off the first blossoms of day-neutral SBs?  What a bore!  I quit!)  No sign yet of the caterpillar eggs that defoliate the currants.  Dandelions are setting seed, pleasing the little birdies, and the chickens, too, as I start to weed the dandelions out of all the beds (I toss all non-toxic culls into the chicken coop).  The quince tree is in full leaf and bloom.  So pretty!  I'll learn how to post pictures one day.  We receive compliments year-round for this tree.

The bad and the ugly:

The late, cold spring really set things back, and i am resisting buying tomato starts until the night time temps improve.  Beans and pumpkin seeds will be planted in June.  Should I even waste the space on pumpkins this year?  Peach leaf curl has decimated our stone fruit trees.  We don't spray, and this annual event is particularly devastating this spring.  Corn is off the list for planting, as allergies took it off the menumecry.gif

We are enjoying rhubarb sauce with biscuits and in yogurt, though i eagerly await a more leisurely day to make rhubarb pie.  No strawberries; I like my rhubarb pie straight up, no ice cream, if you don't mind!

Thanks, RosieL, for the info on blogging, I will follow your advice.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Cathy, I'm in sac... Do you remember a comment way back in like 2008 on your suburbia blog by someone who recognized you at barnes and noble? That was me....
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM

I'll try to get pics this week. I told B that you guys wanted to see pics and he was all, "I have to weed behind it if you're taking pictures". He took a machete to the worst weeds tonight while I got a good wet layer of newspaper down around the plants. (I'll add mulch on top of the paper in the morning, I ran out of daylight.) 

I'm finally having some luck with some of the bigger heirloom tomatoes this year. I have Old German and another one (I can't remember variety, rutgers? homestead? something?) ripening up! This is exciting, it takes like 100 wild tomatoes to get to the size of one of these big ones.  

I like the idea of making a plain tomato paste and flavoring it up as needed, thanks! 

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Lola, one of my two American Bulldogs, ate my strawberries last year. For a while I had assumed it was birds or squirrels or some other such wild creature. But I finally caught her stealing all the pinkest fruit. This year I promised myself I would be vigilant...she wouldn't go near them (I don't want to fence them because they're in a container on the deck). I was true to my promise...and was patiently waiting for this one to ripen...one more day...

230409_10100361453186768_5717300_55344314_5105101_n.jpg

I looked up from my weeding yesterday to see my OTHER dog, Sage, licking his lips next to the container. irked.gif He ate the two ripe berries, first of the season!!! He plucked them off so daintily that the stem and the base of the flower are intact, just the fruit is gone. angry.gif

246887_10100361305343048_5717300_55341713_560500_n.jpg

The culprit is on the right. He fooled me into think he had been sleeping soundly on the deck. 

Table update:

Member Zone Site Favorite cultivar of the moment
Farmer Cathy   Blog  
lunita1 9 Blog  
RosieL 7 Garden Log  Ever-bearing strawberries! 
Magpie1972   Blog  
HeatherAtHome 4 Blog  
SweetSilver 7    

Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM

I am jealous of those strawberries, even if the pup did get them! We are just starting to get little green berries right now. Your puppies are adorable, by the way! One of my parents' dogs loves rasperries, and it is funny to see how absolutely dainty they can be, as you said. She picks them off so very carefully, and leaves the entire stem behind, too!

I'm in zone 4, so while the garden is mostly in, we still aren't harvesting a whole lot. So far, we've been enjoying the perennial veggies - sorrel, linden tree leaves, walking onions, garlic (does that count as a veggie? I have a perennial patch that just keeps coming back, so this time of year, I'm thinning out the plants that are too close, and we're eating the whole young plants. We've also been enjoying having fresh herbs again. Just this weekend, I started harvesting radishes and a few leaves of lettuce for sandwiches. We're still in the part of spring when the kids are fighting over who gets the radishes out of the garden; give me a couple weeks, and I won't be able to beg anyone to eat them. ;) The snap peas are almost a foot high, which is encouraging, and I'm hoping to have some baby turnips to harvest it time to make my favorite pasta/turnip/cranberry salad for memorial day.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Our unusual garden pests are the Golden Crown Sparrows that migrate through each winter/ early spring.  They eat our garden sorrel, primrose leaves, they even devour dandelions down to skeletons.  If I leave the soil unmulched or with a fine mulch, they scratch the soil until it is barren (Sparrow tractor!) Forget sowing any new seeds until the are gone.  Then one day, the garden seems eerie and still.  Finally, they are gone.   

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 AM

I am in Zone 9, BTW.

I love that your dog is eating strawberries! Wait, I mean BAD doggie... but that's really sweet. I had no idea dogs liked them.

My cilantro is growing like a weed. The center stalk is about the size of my thumb. It's disconcerting since the parsley looks exactly the same as when I planted it. Grow, please! Otherwise it's a waiting game, still, around here.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Update on the garden: I had to prune my garden in a painful way. I had a mystery squash (which had grown to show itself to be zucchini) that was taking over, along will improperly planting lima beans and bush beans. I planted seeds en masse instead of waiting for sprouts. I had to prune the ever-lovin' snot out of the tomatoes, they were so full, but I tied them off and they are all pretty and full of fruit ready to turn red in who knows how long. I got a "Congratulations on your garden. Momma" from the babes... they were truly impressed with the fruits of our labor I have many peppers peeking through, too, and herbs galore.

Anyone know if flowering cilantro is bitter like basil that flowers?

Any updates on your gardens?

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 PM

The flavor does change a little, but I've never noticed it to be bitter.  I've always continued to use it, even when flowering (aren't the flowers gorgeous?)  I'm pretty sensitive to bitter flavors.  However, plants can have dramatically different flavors from garden to garden, from year to year.

User Tag List