What to Plant and Pest Control Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently struggling with what to plant in my front two flower beds.  These beds are in full shade with no sun at all.  I was wondering what you would suggest to plant here.  Anything low key would be great because I am expecting a baby at the end of the summer so it will be difficult to bend and tend to all the plants all summer.

My neighbour's cats have also decided to start using this as their litter box. It makes the whole front of the house smell.  I don't know how to keep the cats out.  I want something that is safe but effective.  I also have a toddler so if you have solutions that are also toddler friendly that would be great. 

Thanks for your help.

Kirstin belly.gif, wife to wonderful husbanddh_malesling.GIF (married 08/18/07), and mom to DDdust.gif(04/18/09), angel.gif CMP (12/16/09) and expecting stork-suprise.gif Mid August 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM

I do know that impatiens LOVE shade!  Our whole front is basically shady the entire day, and our impatiens love it.  I've also tried to plant lily of the valley (a perennial, I think) which is supposed to be good for shade.  Hostas do great in the shade, too - they grow huge gorgeous leaves in the shade whereas in the sun the leaves seem to grow much smaller.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 AM

I think if you do a search we've had a couple threads about cats.  I've used plastic forks before when I didn't have a fence in the garden yet, but I know at the hardware store or nursery you can find some deterrent, you'll just have to reapply when it rains.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM

What part of Canada are you in? I'm in the northern part of the US, so depending on where you are, our climate may be similar. Here, plants I'd use in the shade garden would be:

Shrubs:

Sweet Pepperbush

Mahonia

Serviceberry (some serviceberries are small trees, but there are some cultivars that stay under 10 feet and would be fine in a garden bed)

Plants:

Ferns (I especially love Ostrich ferns and Maidenhair ferns)

Bleedinghearts

Columbine

Wild geraniums

Buttercups

Trillium

Jack in the pulpits

Mayapples

Trout lillies

These are mostly plants that are native in my part of the US (and the parts of Canada nearby), and would be very low maintenance once they were established. Unfortunately, flowerbeds are the most work in the first year, but if you got them in soon, they'd probably be established by the time the baby comes, and would be able to take the neglect. :)

User Tag List