plastic netting for erosion control on a slope? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am slowly working on my plans to tear the grass of our entire front slope and replace it with flower beds. I had an estimate from a landscaper to do the work, but it is totally outside of my budget. I think I can chip away at it myself over the summer and use plant divisions and such to fill up the space. The main issue is that the slope is pretty steep (currently lawn which is a major PITA to mow, thus my desire to get the grass off of it). The landscaper quoted "netting" it and said it was like deer netting. As anyone done this? Did you use plastic? How did you anchor it?

My budget for the project is close to zero. The plastic netting and 6" stakes (if that is what I need) are pretty inexpensive. I have a source for free wood chips (15-20 cubic yards - which is actually enough to do only the existing beds that I have now). I hope to get two truck loads this summer.

I am a glutton for landscaping punishment and very motivated to get this done - but I need some information on how to do it.

Many thanks for any words of advice you might have!

#2 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM

My Mom had a slope just like yours, which she slowly converted to flower beds after her mower pulled my sister down the hill one day.  She did not have to use any netting, she just made sure not to take out the grass in any spot until she was ready to put something else in its place.  She put in large stones here and there, too, to give herself level places to squat when weeding and/or dividing perennials, and a set of stone steps up the center so she can get to the shed some very insane person put at the top of the hill.  It looks very nice, though it takes some work to keep it looking that way.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
#3 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 PM

You know, I've never used plastic netting, but I have used the poly weed barrier, and in my experience, unless you buy the really expensive stuff, it isn't worth using. I guess I'd be wary that the same would be true of the plastic netting.

I converted a slope from grass to mostly native plants at my old house. I did it like the previous poster suggested - by converting a small section at a time as I had time and money to do so. If you really want to get rid of all the grass at one time, I would think another option would be to plant a fast growing cover crop that would be easy to get rid of as you are able to fill in a spot with ornamentals.

Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies,

The landscaper said she would use "deer netting" - which si pretty durable. I guess. From what I can read on line you dig a foot deep trench at the top of the slope, roll out the netting, and bury the top foot in the trench to hold it in place, along w/ landscape posts. I'm not sure if it does over just he dirt, or over teh wood chips. Or maybe a second net over the mulch.

Well. I will figure it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page