Self-sown garden madness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

What plants have volunteered in your garden?  I'm thinking edibles, but maybe you have flowers or weeds or another notable plant that has made your garden its home?  Include your zone and any other helpful information...

Here's my offering:

I have always loved plants that reproduced themselves.  Kale and arugula come to mind; Italian parsley, leeks, lettuce, edible pod radish, currant tomatoes, even one year tomatilloes!  The oddest was the carrots.  I never had luck with self-sown carrots in the garden, except for making pretty flowers.  But the seeds ended up in the compost, and the compost eventually was used in the pots we placed on the roof to grow jalapenos.  The carrotseed would sprout and grow long, fat, worm-free carrots.  On the roof! which made even tomatoes and eggplants wilt and die a horrific death.  

Now, our home in zone 7 is too near a field with a lot of Queen Anne's Lace (same species) and the volunteers nearly always have roots like those.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love volunteers. :) I have a few pretty reliably every year - parsley, cilantro, dill, lettuce and garlic (does that count? I leave behind a few garlic heads when I harvest in the summer, and the next year they turn into a thick patch of garlic.

This year, I also have hollyhock, cantaloupe and sunflower volunteers. I'm not sure whether the cantaloupe will bear, because my zone is marginal for ripening the fruit, but I'll give it a shot since it is there. I also have some seedlings that I'm pretty sure are sunflowers in my community garden plot. I've never planted sunflowers there, so I'm not even sure where they came from. This is the first time in years that I haven't had any tomato volunteers, and I'm a little sad about that. The volunteers usually bear late, after my store bought plants are starting to slow down, so it usually works out well to have them.

#3 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 AM

We have onions coming up in our garden at our old house.  We haven't rented it out yet and DH found them a couple days ago.  Apparently, they are doing quite well.  It figures (considering my onions did terrible last year).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Garlic, always, and wild garlic......

Parsley -which is supposed to last for 2 years and I am on year 4

Berries

I think I have a squash growing in my garden.  I did plant squash last year, but certainly no this year.  It is not in a great spot - as squash takes over.  I might have to pull it - but first I want to confirm it is squash.

zone 4 or 5 (depends on map!)

#5 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Garlic.  I was so loving the spring garlic.  DH thought I had dug it all up (I hadn't), and tilled over what was left.  :(  Bummer.

We also have a few onions.

#6 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

I leave behind a few garlic heads when I harvest in the summer, and the next year they turn into a thick patch of garlic.

Oooh, tell me more!  You mean you leave the whole bulb in, and it goes to seed, and that's it?  No sowing garlic cloves at all?  Do you have to thin them?  I'm very curious...

#7 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post

Oooh, tell me more!  You mean you leave the whole bulb in, and it goes to seed, and that's it?  No sowing garlic cloves at all?  Do you have to thin them?  I'm very curious...

If you leave a garlic in the ground it eventually flowers at the top of the stalk.  The flower has many, may little cloves.  They will eventually fall to the ground and reseed.  Thinning might be necessary.

#8 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

If you leave a garlic in the ground it eventually flowers at the top of the stalk.  The flower has many, may little cloves.  They will eventually fall to the ground and reseed.  Thinning might be necessary.

Yes! But even if you don't let your garlic go to seed (I don't - I always pick off the scapes), if you just leave bulbs behind, they will grow into new plants, and they sort of naturalize - so I end up with more plants than I left behind every year. I do have to thin the patch out, so I use the immature garlic plants for cooking as I thin them out, then pull most of the large bulbs at the end of the season for storage.

#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Do all types of garlic reproduce this way?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page