milk in veggie garden? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have some raw milk that went beyond the fresh taste factor. Instead of dumping it down the drain, can I add this to my veggie garden? Will it help, harm, or do nothing? I've done several searches to no avail.

It seems to me that the nutrients would be beneficial, but the fats and sugars in milk is what gives me pause. We already have sandy soil (and the ants that come with it), so I don't want to encourage those buggers to invade my garden. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't do it, either.  Every source I've read recommends against composting any dairy products because they attract rats - I would think the same thing probably applies in the garden, though I don't know how long it would take for the scent to dissipate.  Just a thought.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM

I always put milk that we don't use in the compost.  Never noticed any issues.  I wouldn't pour it where I have plants growing only because the breakdown might get the soil out of balance temporarily for the plants.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

I would just use it to soak some grains and make pancakes!  thumb.gif  Also, why are there no eating smilies?  How lame!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Suburban Hippie I agree!  And I love making buttermilk to use, as it is easy and "keeps" a really long time.  I just used some buttermilk that was over a month old this morning for coconut flour pancakes.

But we get four gallons of raw milk a week (at a cheap $2/gallon) and we don't always have enough uses or storage space for it all.  Sometimes we use every bit and sometimes some extra makes it into the compost. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Everyone, thanks for your help and advice! I guess I'll just dump it, to be safe. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post

But we get four gallons of raw milk a week (at a cheap $2/gallon) and we don't always have enough uses or storage space for it all.  Sometimes we use every bit and sometimes some extra makes it into the compost. 

TWO DOLLARS A GALLON????  OMG that's cheap! I spend $7.50. I am sooooooooooo jealous.

User Tag List