Need help for getting rid of garden - problem with tree roots - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! 

We have a garden in our front yard that was there when we moved in.  I don't like it, and haven't been keeping it up.  I want to get rid of it and plant grass instead.  However, when we tried to use a rototiller to break up the roots of the plants/bushes in the garden, we hit big roots from the tree in our yard.  So we were unable to rototill the garden. 

Our neighbor suggested using weedkiller to kill the roots of the plants, but I'd like to do something less toxic, if possible.  Is there any other way to kill the roots of the plants so that we can plant grass?

Thank you so much!!!!!  orngbiggrin.gif

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 AM

It'll be unsightly for a bit but you can layer the area with any number of things to smother the plants.  Once they're dead, rake them up, rip them up, otherwise get them up and plant your grass! 

I've had good luck with newspaper and cardboard.  If the plants are noxious and weedy, a piece of black plastic will kill things very nicely, too.  If you use something that will decompose, you've got to have lots and lots and lots of layers and then something to hold it down.

Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea.  Thank you!

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#4 of 4 Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM

I would say just go ahead and remove as much of the plants as you can (sounds like you already have) and then go ahead and sow your grass seed.  Anything that comes back from the underground roots of the garden plants will give up eventually if you keep up with the mowing, and if there are that many tree roots I would bet whatever else is under there is already struggling.  HTH.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page