~* June Food Growing Mamas*~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you believe its June already.  I need to get some more pics of the garden, its growing fast.

How is June so far for everyone else?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 46 Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 AM

The garden is getting bigger but so far we've only harvested some lettuce.  Yesterday I spotted the first flower on one of the tomato plants!  I know it will be a while before they really all start coming in but I still excited!  Something has been feasting on all the greenery in the garden.  So far only the melons and one of my marigolds seem to have been attacked.  One melon didn't make it and the other two look rather pathetic and I'm not hopeful.  The marigold I'm not really worried about.  I desperately need to get some cages or something for the tomato plants so that they stop flopping over and getting blown around but I haven't gotten out to the garden center yet.  Soon! Hopefully before they are too big to be enclosed.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#3 of 46 Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM

I finally got my garden planted.  LOL.  I'm just a tad behind.  Granted, I'm in zone 5 so it's not that bad.  Here's a couple pics taken from my deck.

20 tomato plants (if they all survive, some got injured from the wind) and 4 mounds of melons behind them

garden1.jpg

3 rows of corn (will plant 3 more to the left in two weeks), spinach, lettuce, carrots, a row of peas bc I got lazy, a couple pepper plants in the front.  Beans will go to the right in two weeks once it gets (and stays) hot.

garden2.jpg

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 46 Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 PM

I picked some collards. I am totally impressed with me. Ha!

And, used my cilantro for the first time since it flowered. It's very lemony - it was really delicious.

I love the garden set up, SuburbanHippie. Looks like you have a LOT of land to work with there.

I added pics to my blog.

www.magpiedelights.blogspot.com

I must learn how to add them here. I know it can't be complicated.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
#5 of 46 Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Magpie, your garden looks great, and Suburban Hippie - wow, what a nice big garden!

I have my garden and my community garden all completely planted now. I also have three flats of seedlings to transplant in as soon as the spring veggies are done. So far, we've been harvesting mostly mixed salads (lettuce, spinach, baby kale, herbs, radishes, green onions, etc.), but today we had our first broccoli and baby turnips. Yumm!

The strawberry beds are absolutely packed this year - my kids have been checking on their strawberries every day. Here's hoping we get the ripe ones before the critters do!

#6 of 46 Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 AM

Magpie - You just shocked me. I have never been successful with Cilantro because it always flowers before I get a chance to cook it. I had it in my head that it bolts like lettuce and is basically not good after that. Hmmm, not sure how I got that notion. What is your cilantro's cycle? To add pics you can right-click an image on your blog, choose "Copy Image URL" (or something similar if on a PC), click the square icon in the text editor on here, click Image URL, then paste in the URL you copied. 

SubHippie - Looks great! You're making me want to dig up another section of my yard..need more space!

Owen'nZoe - Yay for broccoli. Ever had a problem with white cauliflower butterflies? A friend is battling those for her broccoli. :-/

Member Zone Site What's newly ripe?
Farmer Cathy   Blog  
lunita1 9 Blog  
RosieL 7 Garden Log  Zucchini, peas
Magpie1972   Blog  
HeatherAtHome 4 Blog  
SweetSilver 7    

Don't know your zone? Look here: http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#7 of 46 Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 AM

I have a problem! Each year the mites get my tomatoes before it's time for their demise. I just got home from a 2 week trip and the mites have ravaged my peas. The bottom of the pea plants is brown and completely infested. I sprayed a spicy oil mixture, but this is a serious infestation. Should I pull all the peas immediately? I saw some good-spider webs and one spider, probably having a feast. The tomato plants are not infested yet. Would a ladybug release be useful, or is that under-kill for a problem like this?

I picked the first Zucchini today, and a pound of peas (all snap or snow). 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#8 of 46 Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 AM

I am almost ready to plant my garden. I am so far behind. redface.gif

I did plant a bunch of things, but all the rain a couple weeks ago and then the 90+ temps destroyed them. I was making an attempt to grow from direct seeding and that was a disaster.

Today or tomorrow the tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and all the other things we really want to eat this year will be going into the ground. The only bonus to planting this late is that my local greenhouse has all veggies 50% off this week. I'll go and buy a few more flats today.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#9 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM

I made my facebook garden album public. I'm curious, would one of you guys take a look and let me know whether you can see the pics? http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100238997004938.2712267.5717300 

Also, can you let me know if this opens me up to you seeing everything on my page and other photo albums?

#10 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

I made my facebook garden album public. I'm curious, would one of you guys take a look and let me know whether you can see the pics? http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100238997004938.2712267.5717300 

Also, can you let me know if this opens me up to you seeing everything on my page and other photo albums?

Nope, can't see it. I'm a non FB user and this is what I see:

Quote:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#11 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM

I'm still in planting mode. Tomatoes and peppers went in yesterday. Today (fingers crossed) my Dad is coming with his tiller to clear up the weeded spaces where my potatoes, corn and squash will be planted. Everything else was planted last week. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#12 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the compliments!  I love sharing garden photos. 

So about 6 of my tomato plants are going to the compost.  They're looking dried up and dead.  DH wants to buy plants to replace them.  I want to use the extra space for more beans (since they all are on the far end close to where I could put beans).  What to do...what to do...

I had a couple volunteer plants come up from last year's compost that we moved with us from our old house.  It looks like pumpkins again.  One is growing by the melons (score!).  The other is growing by the corn (score again!).  I have great luck with volunteer pumpkins (and never from ones that I plant myself lol) so I'm really excited!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#13 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

SuburbanHippie - Any idea what happened to them? I have one plant that's shriveling up and dying, one of two tomatoes in a container on the deck. It's in the same soil and getting hte same amount of water as another thriving plant, and no insects to be seen. I'm guessing some sort of disease. :-/  I'm a bigger fan of tomatoes than beans, because they're more versatile in the kitchen (plus DH only eats beans cooked *just so*.)

I am trying to blast these little guys away with bursts of water. I don't want to pull my peas and they're also right next to the tomatoes. :(

254831_10100379108016348_5717300_55649517_1278455_n.jpg

And has anyone ever seen this on a zucchini? Its fellow fruit are dark, dark green. It's almost like blossom end rot on a zucch.

247400_10100379105671048_5717300_55649499_6946115_n.jpg

#14 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Yeah I am also eating lettuce now :-) And we have lovely white flowers on the english peas. I am carefully watching my cabbage plants as the white moth has been fluttering by and laying eggs on the leaves. In the past the caterpillars have taken out whole small plants. Any advice on this?

Rhianna

Oregon zone 8

#15 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:

And has anyone ever seen this on a zucchini? Its fellow fruit are dark, dark green. It's almost like blossom end rot on a zucchini

That's what happens when the zucchini isn't fully pollinated. greensad.gif

#16 of 46 Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM

RosieL- I think it was a combination of wind damage and extreme heat.  DH insisted we bring them all out one day when it was sunny and hot, but the wind was crazy.  When I brought them in that night some of them were bent over.  A couple days later was when we planted them outside and it was cooler again.  I thought that maybe they would recover.  Now it's record breaking heat again and they are all shriveled up.  Oh well. 

#17 of 46 Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 AM

Rhianna - I lost all my broccoli to those little buggers last season. I tried diatamaceous earth to no avail. I hear there is one killer of those guys, but I can't remember the name (starts with a B), and I don't know if it's organic. I do know that the eggs mine laid were yellow and easy to spot with some leaf-flipping. If you don't have too many plants, I would find those eggs and strip them off. Also, I read that making fake moths, e.g. by cutting out plastic yogurt containers and putting them on sticks, would deter more egg-laying, because the guys are territorial. I don't know if that's true, since mine were much further along when I noticed them. 

Garden Stream - Wow thanks for the information, it's surprising! I have so many bees, but they concentrate in the back yard. I'll have to start assisting my zucchini's sex lives!

SH - Awe, that's definitely disappointment. However it's not too late to plant more, be it the beans or the tomatoes. 

I have an open spot in which I'm trying to think what to plant. It gets the least sun of all my garden, probably about five full hours. I have had success with colder weather crops there, through the summer, like lettuce and collards. Any other ideas for veggies that might benefit from some shade from the hottest of the hot summer days?

#18 of 46 Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Yeah I am also eating lettuce now :-) And we have lovely white flowers on the english peas. I am carefully watching my cabbage plants as the white moth has been fluttering by and laying eggs on the leaves. In the past the caterpillars have taken out whole small plants. Any advice on this?

Rhianna

Oregon zone 8

Do you cover them? This is the first year I've tried covering my broccoli with a floating row cover, and so far, so good. I haven't seen a single caterpillar. I'm just about to plant my cabbage for fall and plan to do the same.

#19 of 46 Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM

I have 6 cabbage and 6 broccoli plants. The moths have been laying eggs on only the cabbage so far. I've been wiping the eggs off as I find them. I don't have any row covers, but that is a good idea. Right now, I'd need a free/homemade option :-) Maybe I will try the faux plastic moths and report back.

2 years ago I had some broc transplants which were outside but not yet planted. I noticed "something" was eating the leaves so I brought them inside. Assumed it was slugs. The plants kept getting eaten inside! I even suspected my cat at one point hahahaha Then I saw the fat green caterpillars all over them. By then the plants were gone. So I popped them into a large jar with airholes... and they cocooned and hatched. We released them and DS loved it. Great science project for him and me!

Rhianna

#20 of 46 Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Rhianna -

Floating row covers can be very inexpensive if you buy them locally. I got enough fabric for 2  4x8 beds for under $10 at my local garden center, which isn't the cheapest spot in the world to buy from (I would think Home Depot or Lowes would be cheaper). I've also heard recently that Big Lots often carries packages of the fabric for around a dollar. Maybe that is an option if you have one near you? Of course, you need to get the covers on before you have caterpillars, so maybe this would be a better solution for you next year?

#21 of 46 Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 AM

angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

I'm mad! I went outside with the dogs to let them potty while I pollinated my zucchini. I had to pull six wilting fruit off the vines, and I opened up the flowers of some others in hopes of pollinating them at the last minute. There were a few wide-open females ready for pollination, so I'm glad I caught them. I'm mad, though, that I had to pull so many fruits. :( Why aren't the bees (which are plentiful) doing their job? 

THEN I saw my girl-dog come around the side yard with a big broccoli plant in her mouth. She chomped up the whole thing. Most of my garden is fenced against canine raids, but a little side yard I just started using for veggies is open. She stole a total of four broccoli and a cabbage. UGH. I put a make-shift blockade up, and I hope that my shallots can ripen a little longer before I pull them...she trampled the lot. :(

#22 of 46 Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Rosie - you might have to go Mr MacGregor on those brer dogs of yours LOL

Rhianna

#23 of 46 Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM

It's all planted! joy.gif It's over a week late, but the garden is in the ground.

I'm trying my cukes, zucchini and melons direct seeded this year. I hope they come up! Hopefully I'm late enough that I won't even have to worry about squash vine borer this year.

#24 of 46 Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Rosie - you might have to go Mr MacGregor on those brer dogs of yours LOL

Rhianna

Just like Peter, the dogs are freaking FAST and know how to evade! I erected a temporary fence out of old trellises. Fortunately if there's any barrier at all, they usually don't test it. 

I have scales (like blisters) on some of my tomato stems. Odd, but I'm not going to worry about it until I see some sign of blight. I had to pollinate my zucchinis because the bees and other pollinators aren't doing there job. I pulled two HUGE rotted turnips out of the ground. I kinda missed the boat on their harvest time. Whoops! Pulled my mite-infested peas and will sow green beans tomorrow in their place. My first zinna opened up yesterday and it looks like I'll have many more this week! What a week. Totally dry, so lots of watering. But the zucchini and squash are producing steadily already, the carrots are almost ready, beets are about to come up, and there's a ton of green tomatoes out there! 

GardenStream - Doesn't it feel great to get everything in the ground? I planed my vining stuff from seed this year and everything but the melons cam out nicely!

#25 of 46 Old 06-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

GardenStream - Doesn't it feel great to get everything in the ground? I planed my vining stuff from seed this year and everything but the melons cam out nicely!

It does! My DH and I were sitting on the deck having a glass of wine last night and I told him that it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. He didn't understand but he was still happy to celebrate with me.

I just went out to check the garden this morning and it looks like everything I planted from seed is coming up already. The only thing I'm still waiting for is the moon & stars watermelon. I don't have a great track record with melons so I'm not getting my hopes up.

#26 of 46 Old 06-11-2011, 01:16 PM

I don't have a good track record with melons either, but for some reason things are looking up for me this year.  I have at least a dozen sprouts up in my 4 mounds.  I'm more shocked that all my corn came up!  DH planted it really deep and I was scared it wasn't going to.  Those organic heirloom seeds were expensive and I'm thanking my lucky stars I have put them to good use!

#27 of 46 Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Hi guys! wave.gif I hope to join you all, but I've been having a really hard time finding any computer time lately. I'm going to try, though! I am soooo behind, but I'm zone 5, so hopefully not too far behind to ruin me. I managed to start everything indoors that needed to be early March, I lost a few to the cats, who really wanted to sleep on them, but most everything pulled through and it was happy fun times. Then I brought them outside. And almost everything died. angry.gif  Rosemary, Dill, Cilantro, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Parsley, Tarragon, Lavender, Zucchini, Butternut and Acorn Squashes, Broccoli, Lettuces, Cabbages, Watermelons, Chard, Arugula, Pumpkins, I wanted to cry!

The Nasturtiums and Cantaloupes are alive yet, but not looking good. Still waiting to see if they'll make it. I had 5 different types of Tomatoes and several different kinds of Peppers who took the transfer fine and then.. a couple weeks later.. gone. Somebody ate them stems and all! eat.gif All I have left is my Kale, Oregano, Onions, Asparagus, (which is being eaten alive by asparagus beetle larvae irked.gif ) Potatoes, and 5 Basils out of 12. Oh, and my Cherry Tomatoes I have in hanging baskets are alive yet, too.  Oh, and I have a massive Rhubarb I need to get eating!

So, I'm feeling pretty downhearted. It's too late to replant the lettuce mix I had going, but I heard today that Romaine will take the hot summer months, so I'm going to try to find some seeds and get them in. The carrots and radishes are planted, but not up yet, hopefully they'll be okay, and I replanted the Chard and Arugula, but we'll see if it survives the coming heat. Last weekend I picked up some Broccoli, Tomato, Pepper, Savory, Coriander, and Rosemary plants at the farmer's market which I put in, but I couldn't afford to buy nearly as many as we had. I planted more watermelon, too, I hope it's not too late for it. I think it's too late for pumpkins.

So the beds are not looking like much at the moment, but I'll post pictures anyway. Uhh.. I still have another bed to finish planting hide.gif My peas are still inside, and need to go in and I am putting corn, replanting the squashes, and beans in that bed, too. Maybe tomorrow? orngtongue.gif On the upside I did get a little 4' x 5' raised bed knocked together. Our house was extended and right behind my beds there is a filled in doorway that still had a big cement slab hanging out outside, looking silly. Not it is being more food space and looking at least a little cute. shy.gif I ended up with an overabundance of Kale sprouts and Oregano, which was trying to take over. I moved the Oregano to a big pot and and potted up the excess to give to other people, and spread out the Kale sprouts and potted up a ton of those to give to other people, too. They very quickly went from looking nice and happy to very sad, so hopefully they'll be perking up tomorrow.

Excess plants

Share.jpg

Bed 1 - Asparagus being nearly invisible all along the back row, Kale hugging the ground and being angry at being moved, then Broccolis, Onions, and Basils. 3 Bell Peppers, and in front of those are planted the Carrots and Radishes, and a couple Thyme plants in the very front looking like grass with a little sign between them. Not sure what else I am going to put in here yet now that I have so much less of everything.

Bed 1.jpg

Bed 2 - Oregano now in the big orange pot in the back, and our new raised bed holding Rosemary, Coriander, Summer and Winter Savory, the Arugula and Chard seeds, and one lone, surviving Sage sprout. Tomatoes in the back left, then Potatoes popping up along the back row, garlic planted in front of them but not appearing yet, maybe they were eaten? Front left is the Nasturtiums, and next to them the Cantaloupes. Next to those the Watermelons are planted, and the rest was Green and Red Cabbages and Lettuces that bit it, hopefully I can still get those going again.

Bed 2.jpg

Cherry Tomatoes - still really small, 5 baskets with at least one or two sprouts surviving in each out of four each.

Cherry Tomatoes.jpg

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#28 of 46 Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Did I overstay my welcome yet? ROTFLMAO.gif So what I did wrong was not "hardening" them. I never brought them outside until I planted them. Usually I do, but I had no idea it was essential, I just thought it was helpful. I guess it needs to be done for them to be able to deal with temperature changes. Ugh!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#29 of 46 Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 AM

I think just about every gardener has made the mistake of not hardening off their seedlings, it sucks. greensad.gif

I would definitely go ahead and plant some pumpkins in zone 5. I have a spot on the far side of the barn which is where we toss our pumpkins and gourds when we're done with them. I normally have at least 10 or 15 volunteers show up. Unfortunately, nothing has made an appearance this year so I'll have to go out and throw some seeds in the dirt.

I don't have any pictures of the garden, I'll have to take a couple.

#30 of 46 Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 AM

I planted pumpkin seeds in zone 7 in late July last year. I had a free bed so I thought, why not? I got three awesome pumpkins out of the deal. :) Too late? Nah!

My pollinator problem has been solved. I guess the bees just needed time to find the trove of pollen that is my squash and melon patch each morning:

249940_10100385301684188_5717300_55769560_1681927_n.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page