Blueberry bushes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been researching blueberry bushes with the plan to prep my soil (get the PH right) this year and purchase bushes next year.  I'm considering getting 2-5 bushes.  One question I can't seem to find the answer to:  If I get a plant with an earlier harvest and one with a later harvest, will that work for cross-pollination?  Or do I need to get two plants that will be blooming and then producing at the exact (or close) time?

#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

With rare exception, cross-pollination is not required for blueberries to produce--it will just produce larger fruit that ripens earlier.  This is per "The Backyard Berry Book" by Stella Otto.

FWIW, I had two that didn't produce at the exact same time, but probably closer than what you're talking about.  I'm thinking they must've flowered in some overlapping timeframe.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM

You may want to consider getting the bushes this year, and keep them in a big pot that alreay has the correct soil, and then putting them in the ground next year.  It takes a while to get a good harvest, and this may give you a jump start.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post

You may want to consider getting the bushes this year, and keep them in a big pot that alreay has the correct soil, and then putting them in the ground next year.  It takes a while to get a good harvest, and this may give you a jump start.

I agree with that, especially if you have a somewhat sheltered place you could put the pots for the winter.

#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM

I love blueberries and have somehow ended up with 7 different kinds in various pots on my porch (darn those nursery sales). From my experience, I'd suggest getting many different kinds - some are great fresh,some shine in baking, others freeze well, and you can extend the harvest too. Fall Creek Nursery has a lot of good information.

Happily married, with DS 08.2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page