Budget-friendly composting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone suggest a cheap way to make a compost bin?  We are renting a house and are in the city, so I want something that is contained (no pests) and I can move it when we move.  It must be cheap & easy!!!!  I can't stand to throw away all these fruit and veggie scraps we are using.  Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM

We started a compost bin with a $10 trash can. My husband drilled a bunch of holes in it for drainage, and as long as we keep plenty of leaves in it, there's no noticeable smell.

I use a large tupperware-type container in the kitchen to store scraps until I take the out to the bin. Sometimes I keep it in the freezer, but it usually just sits on the counter.

We will probably buy at least one more trash can, so we can finish the compost in one and start new in the other one.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

we do an inside worm bin (2 totes inside of one another with holes) - no odor and the eat a ton --except for citrus and onions and I have a place to dump those so all the other gets composted- cost around $20.00 total with the worms (bait shop--we use red) - I get the tea and that is great!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

There's really no cheaper way to compost than to trench compost - dig a hole, dump your compostables in, and cover it up with soil. Works great, and it's free.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM

This is a compost bin that can be built with all free materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUAXfVQFfM

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM

it doesn't sound like she can do pallets though - she said she wants it contained.  We've done trench and worms when those were the best solutions in out living arrangements.   Both are great!  I'm sure you could also find some gardening friends or a community garden who would take them off your hands :)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 PM

oops, I didnt think about pests because we used chicken wire to line the inside and made a lid of a pallet too. I know lots of people who have done the thrench method and it was fairly easy.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

User Tag List