~*July Food Growing Mamas*~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our peaches are delicious!  The wasps worry me though.  Has anyone had success getting rid of japanese beetles?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#32 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Yummy!! Beautiful photos : ) 

#33 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Beautiful pictures, Rosie!

abiyhayil - the japanese beetles are just destroying my yard! I've had to pull up all of my hollyhocks, because they looked horrid, and have been handpicking beetles three times a day off the grapes, hazelnuts, plum trees, cherry trees, roses, and apple trees, which they have completely infested. Some leaves have 15, 20 beetles on them. They're also eating the coneflowers, catmint, blazing star, black eyed susan, daisies, highbush cranberries, lilacs...really it would probably be easier to list the plants they aren't eating. I think they killed my neighbor's 15 foot tall linden - it is completely defoliated - I've never seen them this bad before.

So, what to do? I'm planning to spread milky spore next month, and have been trying to talk my neighbors into doing the same, but so far only one seems serious about joining me. The neighbor whose tree was defoliated did buy a chemical spray, but said it wasn't effective, because most of the beetles flew off before she could get them - that made me feel a little better about not wanting to spray. I've read about a systemic I could use on the lindens, but since bees love the linden flowers and the systemic lasts over a year, I'd rather not. That said, I can't afford to lose two $400 trees, you know? I just read about coating the trees in kaolin clay yesterday, and want to try that. I'll update here if it works. I'm thinking of buying one of those silly traps, because with the infestation I have, I can't imagine that it could possibly attract more beetles to my yard, and it might help a bit with all the handpicking I've been doing.

#34 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Wow, Owen'nZoe you sound like you got SO MUCH out there! Will you share more pictures of your yard (I can't remember if I've seen it before).

Our yard was basically bare of landscaping before we arrived. I've worked on vegetables for the last three years, and this year just started to think about and grow for decoration. The zinnias were the frist foray!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#35 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 PM

I've thought about hanging a trap across the street next to the doggie doo bags.  OUr grapevines got hit the worst, but I haven't picked beetles in almost two weeks so I know I'll have even more next year : /  will milky spore help even if it's just me applying it?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page