Mothering Forum banner

Which seeds for kids party favor - August party zone 6?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lmonter 
#1 ·
I'm new to gardening - help ...

I'm thinking of giving some veggies seeds for birthday party favor - but not sure what to get. The party will be in early August - what would make the best seeds to grow then?

So far, I've learnt that there are fall veggies like lettuce and some fast growing carrots that can still be started in August. Which are good options for kids (and/or beginner gardener like myself
wink1.gif
)? I'm looking for seeds that are easy to grow - the party is for kids between 7-10 yrs old - I'm in zone 6.

Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
If you want to give them seeds they can take home and plant that night? Lettuce, spinach, radish, possibly carrots, maybe marigolds or something. Unless your 7-10yo's are incredibly patient, you'll need to do quick-growing goodies. You might be able to get away with a short-season snow pea, I'm not sure.
Or you can concentrate on winter-type things like spinach, endive, escarole and the like (think Eliot Coleman and his Winter Harvest list) so the kids can have a winter garden coming up.
I've planted carrots in July/August several times. They're still pretty darned small by time it starts snowing here, but. Come March, even if I have to dig through a foot of snow, I can find some carrots to bring inside and kick off the season (if we don't harvest them, they start setting seed, which I've also collected).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.