Meadow Voles! Aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh............. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This has been a cyclical & bumper year for the little rodents.  We live out in the country and you expect that rodents will be a part of your lives.  An occasional mouse in the house meets its end with a snap trap.  You understand that some plants might meet their ends due to rodent winter predation (we're in deep snow country).  We keep the area around our immediate property mowed and clear.  We have a big garden (veggies, perennials and roses) with an orchard. 

But, this year has been terrible.  Everyone around had (and, is having) problems with voles.    

Over the Winter, we lost seven, 15-year-old Japanese yew to them (having covered said yews to protect them from deer predation!), multiple shrubs, all our succulents and they girdled 5 big fruit trees.  17 roses were girdled, as well.  About 60% of our 80' x 6' perennial bed in our big garden did not survive their teeth.

This planting season, they have already destroyed our peas and beans (in raised beds) and have had a fine buffet in my rock gardens annuals.

Voles are incredibly breeders, the most prolific of all the rodents.  Each female can produce as many as a dozen litters a year, with anywhere from 4-8 young in each litter, and those young can begin breeding at the tender age of one month.  They breed year 'round (the female breeds the day her young are born).  And, they eat.  And, eat.  And, EAT. 

Happily, we have lots of snakes, hawks and coyotes.  But, even they have not been able to handle the deluge of voles. 

We declared war on them, trapping and killing them all winter.  We use live traps to catch them (snap traps are too much of a risk to songbirds feeding around our feeders) and will not use poison (risk to other wildlife).  Please, don't mention cats, we won't have 'em (that's a discussion better left for the Pets forum). 

Yesterday, I found 7 vole nests, with a total of 48 babies.  If each of those lived to breed, that would make 288 babies in a month!  And, if each of those breed, well, you do the math...................

Ugh.

Anyone else having such problems this year??   

#2 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That sounds very frustrating! We haven't had any issues like that with rodents. In the past 5 years we've had some really long, snowy winters, and I've lost just one fruit tree to girdling. Of course it was the expensive 4-in-1 apple tree with grafts way above the girdle line. I'd be heart broken with the losses you've described! Hope you are able to get them under control.

#3 of 5 Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM

I had this problem last year.  Everything was getting eaten in the garden.  We ended up using the small snap traps baited with peaches because that is what worked.  They were set up under the tomato plants, and often we would set up a trap, start walking away, only to hear it snap.  The traps killed just under 50 voles in about a week, but once we got them all, we didn't have any more problems.  I haven't had problems this year.  I feel your pain!

#4 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM

We had the same problem last year, and the vegetables did so poorly.  Less problems this year (although I did have the unmentionable animal), but I think the population had to do more with cyclical breeding patterns than anything we did or didn't do.  We had some live traps, but we mostly hoped, prayed and waited it out.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#5 of 5 Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM

I have been setting snap traps in the voles trails/paths they make in the lawn.Gotten a few that way.Dogs get some more. I think the snap traps are the best option.Poison is so much of a worry. Tough dealing with the babies,but it must be done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page