indoor plants for air purification - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we put on an addition to our house, upstairs. what i didn't figure on was the smoke coming up from my husbands "smoking room" / breezeway. i closed off the heater vent in his room, but the smoke still comes up when we open the upstairs windows. as a last resort, i'm keeping the windows in the room above the smoke room closed, and am buying lots of tropical plants to put in the upstairs rooms.

has anybody else used plants for air purification? from what i've read on the internet, they can also help add humidity to the air, which is a big bonus (if true), as i suffer from dry skin all winter long. supposedly, they can even replace a humidifier.

anybody else have luck with this type of arrangement? how many tropical plants, and what kinds are best for you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-07-2011, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

we keep plants for some of the reasons you are trying-we don't smoke but we use them for the purification reasons

as with the tropical - you must have the need light!!!! they really do add humidity and that is really nice (we like it) we have one bird of paradise (over 5 ft) next to a almost 4 ft corn plant along with several others that require lots of water - we are unable to keep these in the bed rooms (not correct light) but where we do have them you can notice the difference

we do keep other plants near the windows and room that face the main road (easy in eliminating exhaust fumes- we hope) - the real key again is the proper light for each type

all you can do is try!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

spider plants are some of the best ones..  i think there's a list of the best plants and for what purposes, based on a study that nasa did.. here's one link to the list. 

we don't do the indoor smoking thing, but i can talk about humidity-- not only do plants increase it but they need help with it too.  you might think about putting pebble lined trays beneath your plants so that you can keep water there to help.  most of them like to be misted, too.  

we have a sunroom where we keep most of the plants, but sometimes i will shuffle them around for decorative purposes; they won't mind a week away from their light source so they can look pretty and filter a little air.  some of the ones on the list, like the mother-in-law tongue/snake plant and peace lilly don't really nead that much light. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page