So, we found what we think is Omphalotus olearius in our backyard ("jack o lantern mushrooms," which are poisonous), but they might also be something else.
Anyone here an amateur (or professional) mycologist and want to help with identification so my daughter can research and write a report on it? I didn't know if there was a better forum for this, but I know many of our mothering earth-diggers have a ton of knowledge about nature!
the first thing to do to help identify a mushroom is (besides getting a good book) is to do a spore print, if you can... take a square of white paper and one of black paper and put the gills on top-- the color the print makes is one way to identify the shroom...
that's a faded color for a jack o lantern.. though weather and age can make them lighter.
Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?
There is a great book called Mushrooms Demystified that will tell you how to do a proper spore print, and everything else you need to know about mushroom identification. I, um, read it as a teen, and it definitely prevented me from killing myself, lol.
Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids : dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)
|15 members and 9,086 guests|
|aliciahorsley , dwallis2012 , greenemami , greenfrg85 , jamesmorrow , katelove , Leelee3 , Michele123 , momys1 , moominmamma , nursinge22 , Satori , scaramouche131 , valerievalira , whimsicalmountain|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|