Veggie/Fruit Seed Giveaway/Exchange - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Over in the How to budget and still eat healthy thread, llwr mentioned that an affordable way to put food on the table is to grow your own from cheap or free plant seeds or starts. I think this is completely true and a great idea, and figured that there are a lot of gardeners here who have extra seeds that they'd like to give away or exchange. I know I do! I hate to see my extra seeds go to waste, since there's no way I ever use an entire packet since I only have a container garden.

I think the concept should be as simple as possible - just post a list of what you have available, along with the quantity. Mention whether you're just giving them away or if you're looking for something in exchange. If you're interested in receiving seeds from someone, just message them to work out mailing details privately. You can fit a lot of seeds into a standard envelope with one first class stamp! 

I'm going to pull out my seeds during one of the baby's nap times tomorrow and post my giveaway list. :-) Hope everyone joins in! I think this will be a fun way for us to try some new seeds and all save a little money to boot. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 5 Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, well I didn't get around to posting my list last week, but I have it ready now. :-) These are all seeds I'm willing to give away. They're from the last several seasons, but have been stored well and should have decent germination rates. Quantities vary for each one, but I could send at least five seeds (and probably more) of each variety I think. Just PM me if you'd like some! And please feel free to join in with your own offers - now is the time to start thinking about the spring garden!  

Swiss chard

Red Blush bunching onion

Alibi cucumber

Compatto dill

Wee Be Little pumpkins

Tom Thumb pea

Alpine strawberries

Martino's Roma tomatoes

Silvery Fir Tree tomatoes

Blue Jade corn 

Golden Nugget peppers

Lollo Rossa lettuce

Tennis Ball lettuce

Common chives

Common English thyme

True Greek Oregano

Curled parsley

Sweet marjoram

Sweet basil 

Cilantro 

Dill

Chives

Blue solaize leeks

Lacinato kale

Envy soybeans

Lady lavender

True lavender

German chamomile

Heirloom lettuce mix

Oh, and I container garden so all of these varieties are smaller and suitable for growing in pots. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

The oregano is gone, but I'm still willing to share the rest. :-) Time to start planting in a month or two! 

#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is a great idea! Our local library just started a seed library. I hope it works out. (Basically you "borrow" seeds from the library, grow your food and harvest seeds from that harvest to return to the library for someone else to "borrow" the next season.)

I have some basil, tomatoes, chile peppers, chamomile, chard, melons, and possibly bunching onion seeds to share if anyone wants.

#5 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Saving my spot.  I'm in the middle of doing major seed inventory, just got my Baker Creek order in today, and will likely have some leftover and will want to trade.  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page