leaves at the bottom of raised beds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We have several bags of leaves and thought we'd put a thin layer at the bottom of our raised beds. Leaves were raked this past fall, so they've been sitting there a good 6 months. One thing we're worried about is, my husband mentioned that some rotted apples ended up in the bags with the leaves. And a lot of the apples we picked had worms. So, I'd say a good chance there's apple eating worms in the bags with those leaves. I really don't know a whole lot about pests that feed on apples, or if they feed on vegetable gardens, but could we do any harm by using those leaves? 

On that note! Has anyone ever used japanese fruit bags? We have several apple and plum trees and I saw worms in all of them. Some fruit is safe, but its no fun to carefully cut up fruit every time to be SURE! One article I read about them mentioned a source to buy them for about .05 each. Thats a pretty low price for one apple or plum, but I'm also thinking about all the work of attaching those to each individual baby fruit! If you've used those, are they worth it? I'm thinking about how crazy i might go attaching 100 or so bags to trees.. I also saw something that said use ordinary brown paper sacks.. HAHAHA! One rain and those would melt off the trees like butter

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 2 Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about the worm/raised bed thing... I'd do it for sure.  Though I don't know anything about keeping them off your trees in the future. 

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page