Help me with a new organic farm project! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me with a new organic farm project!

Partners and I are thinking about starting a farm to grow, use and sell fresh organic vegetables, fruits, herbs, nuts (hoping to use biointensive or other effective natural methods of agriculture).
I want to know your opinion and advice on: what we could grow on land this big, what would be the general ideas for a biointensive farm here, what should we start with, is it worth it in this climate/region/time to start an organic farm? What sizes/quantities of crops should we expect and prepare for on 5 hectares? We will of course still have to build relationships with the biggest retails stores, local clients, exporters, which ones are more important on the first stage? Also, please just write whatever you think is important.
I'll try to give you all information I can at the moment, and I will also answer all following questions from you.

We are located in Eastern Bulgaria, between cities of Varna and Burgas.
Climate is Mediterranean and continental (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Bulgaria#Climate
We are offered 5 hectares of agriculture land with the following promised:
1 km from our "office" in downtown
the only land chunk this big and this close to use
suitable for organic farm (i.e. synthetic pesticides and herbicides were not used here for at least 20 years, we'll have to test the soil, of course)
electrical line is there  (as you can see on the photos)
small river passes just behind this piece of land (so irrigation can also be taken care of)
The whole 5ha are currently leased to a company which grows wheat on one half and corn on the other half.
Today, when these photos were taken, it was +30C. There is not much rain throughout summer. However, agriculture is the main business for a lot of folks in Bulgaria (the other big areas being real estate and tourism, probably). The land in Bulgaria is very fruitful, and many professionals say that the climate is more suitable for vegetables and fruit production than in neighboring Greece and Turkey, which are nonetheless more successful in exporting their crops.

Here are the photos of the 5ha:
Here's a video tour around:

Thank you so much for attention to my questions. I hope I can give you more details to clarify what we're working on.

Vladimir
#2 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM

i really have nothing useful to add except for your project sounds exciting and the land looks amazing. what a wonderful opportunity, all the best!!

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Sounds like a fun adventure ahead of you! I think yes it is worth it to organically farm *any* sized piece of land!  To the other questions, sounds like you mostly need to start networking with local farmers to get a better idea of what crops will grow well, what is in high demand at markets and restaurants (or wherever you'd be selling your harvest), etc.  You can always just start small by plotting out the land as to where you'd want some outbuildings and animals to go, and go from there.  Best of luck!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page