Watering In Direct Sunlight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been reading that it's best to water at dawn. But what if you oversleep and by the time you wake up, the sun is already high above the garden? Should I water them anyway, or is it better to wait for late afternoon shade and let the plants suffer dry in the hot sun?

#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I try to water when they are not in direct sunlight, because if you get water on the leaves they can scorch.  But, that being said - yes, there are times when there is oversleeping or whatever, and then I have to water before it gets hot.  As one as you stick to the base of the plants and try to keep the water off the leaves you should be okay. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Watering at dawn in also meant to allow the leaves to dry off quickly to prevent fungal growth on the plant--something that is a big deal here in the PNW.   Also, morning is not as windy and is less likely to push around water from sprinklers.  Some plants are indeed very sensitive to scorching, but I don't seem to have a problem with this, but perhaps I'm just not noticing it?  Watering at the base of the plants, if you can, allows you to water at less optimal times of the day.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM

You can also water after sunset if you forgot to water in the morning. Plants can usually make it through a day of strong sun.

Also, you can do a quick root watering during the day and then finish after sunset.

But yes, at dawn or before 9AM is best.

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page