Ran out of liquid for last jar of pickles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tonight was my 1st time pickling & I ran out of liquid on the last jar.  I just left it like that so instead of the 1/2 inch headspace, I ended up with a couple inches.  Is this going to be a problem?

I am trying to understand the difference between headspace & leaving air in there?  I used the plastic tool to swipe around the inside to remove air bubbles but am feeling anxious about whether I got them all or not in general...not to mention this jar that wasn't filled all the way.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 PM

I would make sure that the tops of the pickles are covered, even if I just had to pour white vinegar over them to add a little extra. As long as the pickles are covered, you shouldnt have a problem.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thx Adaline'sMama! The liquid pretty much just covers the pickles so I'll hope for the best :)  

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

User Tag List