WIll this work? 30x30 space, cinder block bed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved to a new home. Our last home we had a poorly sunlit 10x15 area than never did much.  Our new home has a 30x30 or more area with wonderful sunlight, for a garden expansion. :) 

We are garden rookies. We just brought a sample of our soil to our local extension office to be tested. We are having our yard torn out in 4 days and want to have the garden space laid out before then. We think we want to do raised beds, but we do not want to put the money in to make several high raised beds.  We are thinking to make the whole 30x30 the garden, in one big square. But we are thinking that when the yard is torn up, we will lay a 30x30 cinder block square, then have the dirt and sod around it. This would bury appx 3 inches of the 8 inch blocks, leaving 5 inches above ground. We would fill with recycled yard dirt, a couple trucks loads of compost from our city compost day, and some various other manure, peat moss, and personal compost. 

My question....is it okay to make this one big block? We will obviously be walking in it to tend to the garden, but with it being lightly raised, will is mess anything up?

Suggestion on how to best maximize the space?

THanks!

#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 AM

Well you don't really need the blocks.  30 x 30 is a good sized space for a garden. I always like planting annual flowers around the perimeter (zinnias, cosmos, marigolds). What I usually do (I have a similar space) is make unenclosed raised beds in the big garden and then mulch the paths.  Just dig the paths and throw the dirt to either side to make the bed.  Some beds are only 4x8 and some are 4x15.  This allows you to work on a little at a time and work from either side of the bed.  I go to the sawmill and get a load of mulch ($20).  Don't skimp on the mulch because your paths will get weedy. 

#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 AM

I've read (in a magazine) that concrete leaches calcium out of the soil.
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!  Very helpful. I am super excited to get this project started.

#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM

If you get it dug up in time this year I'd go ahead and put down some clover (crimson) as a cover crop to till in next spring.  If you're anxious to grow food this year you may have time for greens (mustard,kale,turnip,collards).  Just try not to leave the ground bare,  if you have no time to plant just spread some mulch or leaves on top.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page