A couple ?s about Hornworms... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First off...GROSS!!!!  I am just completely freaked out by the look of these things...holy huge.  

Did some reading here & online & couldn't take anymore...was starting to gag.  Here are my leftover ?s:

1) So the ones with the white parasitic wasp eggs all over them that I am supposed to leave on there...are those "braconid wasps" truly not stinging kinds?  My tomatoes are in containers along our driveway & I take the kids in & out of the car right next to them.  I am very allergic to bees/wasps.  I am reading online that most parasitic wasps do not sting humans but I am wondering if anyone with experience here can confirm what happens when these crazy things hatch?

2) When I put my containers away below the deck for the winter...should I dump them in the woods & just start with new soil next season?  I only "turned over" the 1st few inches deep this year and the soil in there sat for 18 months not being used or turned at all previously.

3) Should I get the courage to cut a stem off with one of the little shits on it without any white eggs & do the mason jar thing so the girls can watch it transform?  Can I leave it outside on the deck to do so?  

TIA!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 2 Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They are braconid wasps, and they do not sting. They are very beneficial for your garden! I would leave them alone and let your children observe them in the garden instead of removing one and placing it in a jar. Here's some info on them:

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/beneficial-insect-braconid-wasps/index.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page