Getting farm and garden work done with a babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post in...

I am wondering about getting farm and garden work done with a babe. My LO is 10 weeks now and I need to get back to farm and garden chores on a regular basis. She's NOT a napper. I have a wrap and sling, but can't seem to find the right position or rhythm. Any advice? What about when she's older? What about a play yard/pack n play outside? What has worked for you?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM

I did the wrap when ds was little and it worked well for hauling stuff, but not so much for bending over gardening. I just took ds out in the stroller. Then i could push him to whatever area I was working on, he loved to watch me doing stuff. When he was old enough to sit up I brought a big blanket out with some toys and would let him play near me. I think a pack-n-play would work, but that would have been a pain to drag all over the property whereas I could easily take the blanket out.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was never much good at bending down with them in a sling, back or front so didn't get a lot done while carrying them. Back carries were slightly better for me as I could at least things in front of me.

We only have a small garden so it was not to  bad to carry out something out to contain the little one, I;m not sure I would want ot lug things too far. We did take the pack and play out there sometimes, especially if the grass was still a bit damp. My kids loved it if I stuck the ball pool balls in it, otherwise once they were crawling they wanted to be out and about.

Like the PP we used the pushchair in various places they were happy to nap in in after a bit of a walk around or sit/lay and play, we had a toy bar with a couple of dangling toys which kept them busy when they were small. Again once they were crawling they were not so happy to sit.

Once they were able to sit we got a swing with a bucket type seat. DD would sit in that for quite a while with the occasional push.

By the time they were walking they tended to come and "help" me. I remember DD spending ages collecting leave/twigs/stones in her little wagon.

#4 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 AM

I find a shady spot close by, and that's when my little girl does tummy time. :) 

She's not happy about it, but she's not happy about it when we do indoors either! 

When she's big enough, i'll put her in a back carry w the mei tai or the ergo. :) 

#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

With my first, I struggled to do outdoor stuff with her in a sling/wrap.  With my 2nd, I suddenly realized that it was okay to actually put him down for a little while :) I only had a very small garden, but hang all my laundry and do various other chores, etc. outside.  I would bring a blanket and a few toys (before he was mobile) and lay him down while I did my work.  Ds was much more likely to lay adn play than dd would have been though, so this has a lot to do with temperament. 

I had to learn that it was okay not to do everything right away-i.e. I might hang a few items of laundry and then have to take a break, or weed half the garden, then finish the rest later.  That is hard for me, because I often will just want to give up and end up not doing it. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM

With my first I used a snugli (horrid idea!), and a jogging stroller.  she rode in the carrier when I drove tractor and in the stroller when I worked in the field.  With my second I used an Ergo (way better idea) and a pack n play.  Since then we have moved and have more kids- so I usually just wait until the baby is sleeping and then go do what I have to do.  I have a friend who has an extra infant seat that she uses in the barn for milking- I think that would work well.  My kids have never taken well to laying on a blanket in the yard.  But once they get bigger some tonka trucks in the garden are amazing!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page