Ansolute newbie , need advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have never grown anything in my life. So, I need very basic and complete info. I have checked out few books from library and read them. But they were all about outdoors ( even container gardening).
I will start outdoors next summer.

For now, I want to grow some indoor ornamental flowers, some easy to grow vegetable, herbs. I have a room south facing, corner, with windows on both walls, plenty of sunshine. If I keep the door closed, it stays warm because of the heater. Will this be sufficient?

Where can I get a list of best beginner vege/plants to grow and how to care for them for my region?(ohio)

I want to buy the basics: pots, soil, seeds, fertilizer online( no, I have nothing at home to recycle:) ). Which website would be a good reliable one-stop shop?

Thanks in advance!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#2 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No advice Amy because I have all of the same questions! I guess I would characterize myself as a "brown thumb" - I forget to plant things on time - forget to water them and they die etc...... 

I am looking for basic info - something that literally tells me what to do when - like a checklist that I can use so that I don't forget to water!

Hopefully some of the mommas with green thumbs can jump in with their suggestions!

Best of luck to you!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 231/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $468.31
#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you have a garden shop or greenhouse near you?  This time of year, it might be easier to buy a young plant rather than try to start seeds.  To properly start seeds you need steady warmth - say at least 70 degrees or higher.  A potted herb like basil might be a good place to start.  Or even a spider plant (not sure of the proper name).  Aloe plants are also not difficult plants.  No matter what, don't be discouraged if you don't see much growth from plants you buy this time of year.  Things tend to grow slower in the winter unless you have a grow light set up.

Good luck.

hh2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you. Since I posted this, I have checked out several books from lib and reading up. I wanted to start right away but now I am going to first get some basic knowledge.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
g&a

Indoor gardening is tricky because you don't get as much sun (even in a very sunny room) and you don't have the masses of soil that you have outside.  I have grown lettuce and many herbs inside with luck.  My mom used to grow tomatoes in 5 galon pots, put them out on the deck in the summer and inside in the winter.  This was a good fix for our short growing season.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#6 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM

I am a newbie too! Any tips or guidelines would be incredibly useful! I just want a small veggie garden, so I can decrease the amount of spending at the grocery store. Also, what can be done in order to prevent stray animals from going in the garden? Thanks so much! 

#7 of 8 Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I really like this website  http://www.yougrowgirl.com/

The site is ran by Gayla Trail, and on it you will find TONS of information- everything a beginner gardner would need to know-  Seed charts, climate zones, composting, mulching, plant care, plant info, etc.  Last time I checked, you can no longer post on the site, but I think you can still search old threads on the forums-  You should have no trouble finding an answer to whatever your questions are.

She also has a few books which I LOVE:  You Grow Girl, and Grow Great Grub.   I love her books because she makes it 'real'-  Not pretentious.  Big emphasis on organic gardening, working with small spaces, working with your climate zone, frugality (gardening, especially in other books can be pretty elitist-  working under the assumption that we all have tons of money to throw into it-  Gayla Trail assumes the opposite, and I love her for that!)

#8 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks fortune teller...what a great site!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page