I got my Seed Savers and Baker's Creek Seed catalogs this week.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am soooo excited.  I have been waiting until I had the house to myself.  Going to put on a pot of coffee and look through them.  I feel like they came earlier this year? 

Anyone else?

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 14 Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Dang it, where are my catalogs? Seems a bit early, but I think they started early December last year too. I kind of feel like the gardening season just ended, and I don't really get too needy about catalog browsing until around February, especially if it's a year where the snow has just been piled on. But this year there's been no snow and cold thus far, so it doesn't even feel like winter yet. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

I know!  It's 62 degrees here today and it is 6:15 in the morning!  It is supposed to be in the 70's later on!  and I live in Illinois.

Crazy.

#4 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM

My Baker Creek catalog arrived in yesterday's mail. I always forget how dangerous they can be!

We still have a fair number of seeds left over from last year. I think we'll be ordering mostly greens and herbs. 

What's on your list?

#5 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am not there yet- still just admiring.  I am definetly getting some little melons I saw listed that are new.  I will get a white tomato and some patty pan squash...there were a few flowers I would love to have.

I also really want to go to the spring festival this year... I am not too far- about 6 hours.

#6 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Got my Bakers yesterday. I love their catalog and their mission, but one thing about the catalog that bothers me is the lack of consistency in the seed descriptions. I'd like to see days to maturity and sun/shade requirements listed for everything. They don't even list sun/shade requirements and only about a third of the descriptions list days to maturity. Makes it kind of hard to plan the garden, since I always have to do research on the side. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I think you should share this with them:)

#8 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM

You know, that's a good point. I'm a member of their forum, so I easily could...

#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I worked at the locally owned plant nursery here for 3 years and I went on Saturday because they have santa and elves and a Christmas open house.... I WON their drawing for $25!  They were so excited:)  AWWW... yay!

I used to make the calls for the drawing and this year I won:)  someone else won $ 100 but $25 is great!!!

:)

#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Congrats, Mom31!

I don't get any seed catalogs (only started gardening in earnest 2 years ago) & have bought seeds from my local nursery. But I'd like to order from Seed Savers & other companies selling heirloom seeds.

Should I order catalogs at this point or do they have the same seeds for purchase usually on their web sites as they do in their catalogs?

Thanks!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#11 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM

re catalog vs online-- my experience is there is usually more available online & once you order, they'll generally send you a paper catalog thereafter, fwiw.

I love getting my catalogues early bc I love to admire & plan & I need time to cut my wishlist to match budget constraints! Plus in zone 7b, we can literally garden year round-- it's always time for winter peas If nothing else! HAHA

#12 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM

I got my Pinetree Seeds last week. They're my favorite by far, with Bakers and Seed Savers being in the top three. For those that price is an especial consideration, Pinetree offers a lot of heirloom/OP seeds for a less than a dollar a packet, or $1.50 a packet. The prices are incredible!

#13 of 14 Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Ahhh, I can't take all the catalogs I'm getting!  My friend decided to do a real garden this year so we picked out stuff together and split the cost.  Ordered some seeds from Select Seeds (yellow poppies, some morning glories), a bunch of flower seeds from Amazon with my survey points, a few things from Baker's Creek -- and did the big order today from Johnny's Selected Seeds.  I had such great success with their winter seeds this time around decided to do the spring order as well.  Been putting off due to cost, but it's 79 degrees here today!  I don't think I have time to wait!

#14 of 14 Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM

Will have to request a a catalog from Pinetree!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page