Eating dandelions sprayed with Round Up 18 months ago . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In a moment of weakness I agreed to let my husband spray Round Up on the multitude of dandelions that were taking over our yard about 18 months ago.  I was kicking myself almost immediately.  This past summer I really wanted to harvest the dandelion greens and make jelly with the flowers but I didn't for fear of ingesting round up.  I thought I remembered reading something about pesticides being trapped in tap roots and that you should wait a certain length of time before consuming plants that have been contaminated by pesticide use.  I'm already looking forward to harvesting my dandelions this year, but I'm still a little nervous.  I know the majority of the dandelions will be new, but I also know that unseen tap roots can push up new plants over and over again and there is no way of telling which ones could be new vs. possible survivors of said round up attack. 

Am I over thinking this?  We try to eat organically, especially when it comes to produce, but I'm honestly not too much of a stickler about it.  I probably ingest more pesticides from conventionally grown apples that I would from dandelion greens possibly sprayed years ago, right?  Any info here would be helpful! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I did a brief search to find specific information about the persistence of Glyphosate in soils, and I could not find any.  I also could not find any info for taprooted plants.

Since you are in the PNW. I would be less concerned about persistence in the soil in that time frame, more in a dandelion's ability to store both active and inert ingredients for long periods.

I would tend to relax about the nearly 2-year stretch you are talking about.  Dandelion greens are so amazingly nutritious.  And, yes, glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide in the world.  If you are not eating organically, you are potentially getting far more of it that way than eating your dandelion greens.

Bon Apetit!

And food for thought: if you are hesitant to put it on your lawn, reconsider supporting agriculture that uses it to grow your food crops.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 3 Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

When a farmer wants to be certified organic, they have to wait two years without using chemicals, and then they can be certified.  So in six more months, you are probably OK. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page