building a raised bed culinary and medicinal herb garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wanting to start a new project and would like to build raised beds to grow both organic culinary and medicinal herbs.  I have some scrap wood that I would like to use to build them.  Does anyone have a favorite plan they use for this that would be something compatible with using scrap wood?  I have never worked in raised beds before.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Have you tried the Anna White website? I love the idea of growing medicinal herbs. I want to try it someday. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have one for strawberries. We just built a box out of old wood placed it on the ground and filled it with good soil. You have to water a raised bed a lot more compared to growing in the ground. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
g&a

I would make them 4 ft wide and as long as you have enough wood for.  Your average arm reach is around 2 feet so more than 4 feet wide and you won't be able to reach the middle comfortably.  Make sure it's not treated wood - shouldn't be colored green - as you don't want to grow anything edible in that.  I have tried many kinds of garden beds and do find that the raised ones require more water.  You might want to google hugelculture beds instead - I've been having really good luck with beds that are raised as mounds.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM

I made a raised garden for veggies and herbs with scrap wood from the local hardware store. It's 4 foot by 4 foot. This year we're planting root veggies like beets, carrots, and radishes, along with our other favorites like corn, lettuce, and kale. We run a soaker hose through the bed to keep it from drying out too much. Not sure if you have squirrels or rabbits in your neighborhood, but if you do you might want to look into natural deterrents or maybe even fencing it off with some chicken wire to keep them out!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page