Silverleaf Dogwood? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a small bush/tree to plant at the front of my house. Is this a good choice for an area that really doesn't get any sun (northern exposure)? I think that it would be too big for the area I have if I left it to grow but I can trim it to the size I want, right? Also, is this the one that has red branches all throughout the year, winter included? It would be very nice to have that extra little bit of colour.
Any other suggestions would be great too!
#2 of 2 Old 04-22-2004, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this plant as Variegated Redtwig Dogwood (Cornus alba 'Elegantissima')--it has the white edge around green leaves, Red twigs look great in winter.

It will grow with little or no direct sun, but will be somewhat sparse and sometimes gets fungus/powdery mildew in late summer on the leaves if it's a moist area. You can definitely prune this plant heavily. In fact, you'll need to cut it back to keep the twigs bright red, as older stems lose the red.

I usually recommend that people cut out the older stems every other year, and prune the whole thing down to about 2-3 inches tall on the opposite year (really). In the shade, you may want to just remove the older wood (right to the ground) and prune the newer branches back annually, depending on how vigorous the growth is....

This plant does need a fair amount of water, so keep that in mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page