~*Food Growing Mamas*~ March and April - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the eggshell info!

I found a local place to order organic seedlings from on Oahu, although they only offer a few things that  I want.  I think I will try to visit them once I get back (they come from a big urban garden) to find out what grows good there and what doesn't.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#32 of 59 Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM

HAHAHAHA... I -thought- I'd edited! Now, just don't tell my English students on me! bag.gif

In gardening news, we did -not- get anything more in last week. My potatoes are not up yet... hmmm; they should be by now, I think. We are saving milk jugs, tho & DS is excited about starting his Gold Medal tomatoes in them.

#33 of 59 Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post I usually powder the eggshells (if I can spare any from feeding them back to my hens or taking in caps myself-- they're good calcium for everyone!)

Huh!  We put all of our chickens' eggshells in the compost -- I never thought to capsulize them for us!  Now that is an interesting idea!

#34 of 59 Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jess!!!  So good to see you!!

Sweet Silver - That is what I really like about them.  I can open them up when it starts getting warmer.  Waiting for it to warm up so that they start to sprout.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#35 of 59 Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Yay!  Our growing season is short, so I'm still in planning phase.  I'm trying straw bale gardening this year - just 3 bales to start with and they're out and conditioning now.  Should be ready in another week or so for planting.  In the bales, I'm going to do tomatoes, japanese eggplant, cukes, carrots, beets and squash. nasturtiums and some herbs.  Then I'll have a bean teepee, trash can potatoes and some "salad bowls."  Kale will go in a separate raised bed. 

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#36 of 59 Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM

I put my first planting of potatoes in the ground today and covered the bed with netting to keep the birds and squirrels from digging in it.  I also netted the pea bed because it appears the birds are going after either the actual seeds or the sprouts irked.gif

I noticed some lettuce seedlings coming up, too.  Hoping they start coming in like gang busters because we need some lettuce and greens!!  My winter greens are bolting from the hot temps this week.  I'll probably pull them tomorrow and put buckwheat in the bed til I figure out what's going in there next.

I'm not having very good luck with my winter sown tomatoes.  Our temps have been in the 80s during the day this week and 50s at night, so I uncapped them and have been leaving them uncapped.  Some have germinated, most have not headscratch.gif  My inside peppers just aren't germinating and only 2 of my eggplant seeds sprouted.  I don't seem to have very good luck with the really warm weather crops.shake.gif

I keep checking on my carrots and radish seed and I'm getting nothing.  I think either the birds ate the seeds or the slugs are eating the new sprouts.  If I don't see anything by the weekend, I'll be doing another planting *sigh*

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#37 of 59 Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Oh, slugs are eating everything here, it seems.  We are surrounded by Pacific Northwest forest, and the armies of slugs are in full force.  But something else is nipping off all our pea shots.  They are germinating well, but get nipped off when they are about 2" high.  We planted more, both in the ground and in pots just in case.  The fava beans are doing quite well.  DH planted kale and broccoli in pots for transplanting.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#38 of 59 Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM

FillingMyQuiver, I've stuggled with peppers and eggplants as well. Last year was the ONLY year we had success, but it was a roaring success. I started them in recycled clear plastic cups next to my chick brooder-- they had 1/2 the heat and light from the chick lamp. Worked great for a happy accident! My tomatoes were behind/ further from heat than the peppers & eggplant & also did far better than usual. Some swear by a heating pad under a wool blanket under a seed tray...

SweetSilver, is it cut worms maybe?

#39 of 59 Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

hello, may i join you ?

i'm in Europe and had a friend send me a packet of Kale seeds & have planted a few seeds in a pot on my balcony today , am hoping to harvest young leaves for salad since the local production of spinach is going to stop shortly

tonight when coming home, i spotted a three leg narrow and high wicker basket type planter next to a refuse bin and took it home, i had just remembered that i had baught purslane seeds & will sow them at the week end

i also need to find another container for some spring onions

i live on a 4th floor flat ( so far from the ground, & anyway it's all tarmac and no apparent soil ) and am looking at other ideas about what edible plants i could try planting ...

#40 of 59 Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post

SweetSilver, is it cut worms maybe?

I've wondered that myself, but I know that cutworms' hallmarks are the bites not-quite-all-the-way-across the stem.  I see these frequently with tulips.  These were sheared off entirely, but the tops left alone.  So maybe?  I just hope that it is something like a caterpillar, because then I can wait out its development.  This spring, once again, is long and slow, so I have lots of time for peas still.

Here's a ladder's-eye view of the new veggie garden.  That's the chicken coop-- source of much wonderful compost, now conveniently located where I need it!

We have it divided, with the chickens currently in 1/3 of it, behind the little shelter.  The fence is not tall enough to keep a determined chicken in, but they all panic if they fly out, so we don't have a problem with it.  So far, there's enough food outside the fence and nothing in that will tempt a deer.  Yet.  Behind the wheelbarrow is our tiny rhubarb clump and some garden sorrel, plus some native plants that need moving.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#41 of 59 Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM

After going through the effort to build our own A-frame trellises for our tomato and cucumber seedlings (started indoors from seeds carefully hoarded from last year's purchased-at-the-farmer's-market-organic-heirloom food) all of the cucumbers and most of the tomatoes DIED while I was hardening them off. It looked from the leaves like too much sun exposure, but I thought I was going slowly (an hour or so in the shaded carport on day one, three hours on day two, an hour of direct sun and three hours of shade on day three, etc). After TWO WEEKS of hardening off, they still died when I left them out for 8 hours on a sunny day.

I think I give up on starting seedlings indoors FOREVER. Cuss.gifSo now I'll just direct-seed the seeds I have left and we'll see.

Wildflowers are popping up all over now here in northern VA. The weather's been beautiful, the perennials in the herb garden are coming back up, and the persnickety carrots have actually managed to sprout in our hopelessly thick clay soil. So not all is bad. :)

#42 of 59 Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

The weather this spring has been so back and forth that I'm slacking on planting.  I put out snap peas, lettuce, spinach, and onions and the onions and spinach all died from cold temps overnight.  SO mad.  It took forever for them to sprout indoors.  I'll have to redo them.  I have tomatoes, peppers, herbs, squash, cukes, etc all started indoors and doing well.  It's still far too chilly for them outside though.  My strawberries from last year had to be pulled and moved because they started to take over the entire garden bed, which I've already done.  So pretty much nothing growing as of yet.  The weather is AWFUL.  I'm just itching to really get out there in my garden.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#43 of 59 Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

my kale seeds are sprouting in a pot on my balcony, between 1 and 2 inches long so far, i have no idea how long i'm supposed to wait until i can "harvest" and put some in my salads ... any suggestion welcome !

#44 of 59 Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM

So sorry to hear about everyone's struggles!  I feel your pain! I finally decided to buy some plants on sale at the local farm store & (re) harden them at home-- they're supposed to be garden-ready, but I'm not taking any chances.

I saw "something" pop up in 2 of my potato bins! Maybe I just planted them really deep, so they took forever? I am not an experienced pototo grower! I was about to dump the bins & replant.

Re KALE: I may not be the best person to ask bc I LOVE kale so very much that I always start harvesting one baby leaf from each plant as soon as there are 4-6 leaves a few inches long on each plant-- always from the outside bc the new growth comes in from the center. When those plants have 2 new leaves in the center I harvest one more outer leaf per plant. After it warms up, eventually, the kale more than makes up in growth what I harvest & gets really big, so that I can harvest up to 1/3 of the leaves on a mature plant (like when the whole plant is very dark & the spread is at least as big as a dinner plate). I haven't killed any by over-harvesting yet, but this is by no means expert or technical info! Mine usually overwinter in zone 7b all year if I leave them alone more as it cools-- they also overwintered one year in northeast IL-- don't recall the zone, sorry-- and had to be tilled around to put in more in spring! Kale's the best! (& it's not just my iron-craving baby bump talking!)

#45 of 59 Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM

mum4vr, many thanks for all the info about Kale ... i only know about it from what i READ on MDC or FB lol .... here is what it looks like for the moment ...(luckily i still have some fresh spinach available from a local producer so am not yet desperate for harvesting ....)

#46 of 59 Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM

NP, I can't wait 'til ours comes up, too! I love seeing the new babies almost as much as harvesting!

I just saw I spelled potato, "pototo," OY, this thread gets all my typos! hahaha

#47 of 59 Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM

I've always had a little trouble starting seeds indoors --- have done it successfully with cole crops (started in August when it was 113 outside) but with the spring stuff, it's just never worked too well.  I don't have room for my grow light unless I use the whole bathroom, so everything sits by the windows and then the seedlings end up getting too leggy.  I don't deal with snow, or extra cold winters here so I don't have that issue, but I've found direct-sowing everything (or starting outside, period, despite the weather as long as it's unlikely to frost) to be most effective.  It's sink or swim around here, little seeds!  LOL

I trapped a second gopher.  Saw a new pile of dirt and spent a good half hour looking for the main tunnel...then, twenty minutes later it was dead.  Whew.  Hopefully it was the last one!  I'm having slug problems too, SweetSilver.  I swear, the slugs in my garden are so big and fat -- and striped! -- it almost makes me feel guilty killing them.  But sluggo has been doing the job expertly, so the numbers are dwindling.  Birds are nipping at my lettuce, just like last year.  Need to get some more netting but made a twine maze of sorts and threw a couple of wire baskets over some sprouts...hopefully that will do the trick for now.  I hung some cds but the sparrows don't seem to be bothered by that much.  Last year we had a Cooper's Hawk living in our bamboo -- now there was a good bird deterrent! 

Peeked out the window a few minutes ago and can see a big burst of bright pink --- the poppies are starting to bloom!  My orange California poppies, and the white Alba type too, have been blooming for about a week -- lots of wildflowers, bluebells, tidy tips, etc.  I've been waiting for the big poppies, though.  Will have to snap a picture.

Everything else is growing like weeds -- all my onion sprouts are up, and the tomatoes and squash have actually set fruit!  Now comes the hard part of making sure nothing dries out.  Our yard starts to get scorching around May.

#48 of 59 Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM

It's not food, but it's the first big poppy bloom of the year!  joy.gif
They are my favorite.

#49 of 59 Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 AM

what size should i wait the kale to be before i "thin it "?

i have chives indoor (some in an empty egg box) and they are about half an inch out .... am hoping to eat some in stir fry food later on ... but have never grown any so not sure if i should thin them or if i can leave all these shoots next together ?

am thinking of buying an over the door shoe organiser and suspend it on my balcony (there's a glass panel separating my small balcony off the kitchen from the neighbor) & and grow one see of spinach in each compartment .... anybody tried that already ?????

#50 of 59 Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 AM

You can thin sprouts with a small pair of scissors.  Just snip off the top (and add them to salad or something).  This works with just about anything and can be done at any point, though earlier is better because the larger they get, the more they affect the growth of the surrounding plants.

Chives naturally grow in clumps, so you can thin the clumps, making 3 or 4 clumps, but you don't thin individual chives.

#51 of 59 Old 05-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Hi everyone. I am a gardening newbie. The only crop I have grown successfully is basil (we use it to make pesto, so we grow lots). This is our first year in our new house and I would like to grow basil, tomatoes, a couple of kinds of herbs, squash, and maybe one or two other things. We are in Ohio. 

So I have a question. Since we bought our house in the fall, this is our first spring in the new house and growing things are coming up all over. We have some asparagus and some rhubarb. the rhubarb is doing its thing and seems to be okay, but what am I supposed to do with the asparagus? I read online that you're not supposed to harvest it until year 3. I have no idea what year this is, though obviously it has to be at least year 2. We haven't done anything to the asparagus and now it looks like little trees--should we have harvested them when they were short? Or should we start harvesting them now? or should we wait? There are only a few plants so if we had harvested them when they were short we would have gotten like 3 spears. 

#52 of 59 Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Finally got the garden planted!  (very, very late I know).  It's amazing that we have a garden at all this year though, so I'm happy!    I'm guessing we will enjoy most of our harvest in September, which is fine with me!  

Planted: 

Tomatoes in pots

Bell peppers

Spinach

Lettuce

Snow Peas

Corn

Squash

Carrots

Collard greens

Bush beans

Cantaloupe (I do not have high hopes for this one though!)

Cucumber.

#53 of 59 Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Well I still haven't started my garden (2 week today and I will be back in Hawaii!) but I did put in my order for some of my herbs!  I ordered basil, dill, and parsley.  I am so excited!  They are organic and from a local community garden so I'm even more excited!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#54 of 59 Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Just bought our flat of tomato starts from our friends.  Looking forward to summer!  Our spinach looks good for once and whatever bird or critter that was eating our peas has stopped.  Yay!

#55 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Hurray we finally got our first 2 beds done! The cabbage & brussels sprout bed looks pretty... "done-by-my-teenagers", but it's all in & that must be better than getting more & more root-bound in flats!

We've already harvested a few strawberries!

#56 of 59 Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM

My garden is all planted finally.  I am growing:

pumpkins

watermelons

roma tomatoes

yellow pear cherry tomatoes

cucumbers

bell peppers

green beans

sugar snap peas

onions

strawberries

zucchini

spinach

broccoli

lettuce

summer squash

oregano

chives

thai basil

basil

cilantro

parsley

dill

I have small heads of broccoli showing on my plants already and my sugar peas should flower soon. My lettuce is about 3 inches high and nearly ready to thin out. My strawberry plants already have small green strawberries on them.  I'm not sure why but my strawberry plants march to the beat of their own drum.  I got a handful of lovely berries last year in early June and nothing until they flowered and produced another handful of berries in OCTOBER again.  Here in New England.  In like 50degree temps.  It was very strange.  I never know what to expect from these plants.  But they are 5 years old at this point and I largely ignore them and let them do their own thing so I guess I can't complain.  

So everything is so packed in that I have to trellis everything that can be trellised because I seriously  outdid myself and my very small garden space this year.  I am using a bunch of pots and a ground space on my neighbor's half of our properties.  This weekend we are building trellises for everything and I think I'll let the kids paint them all wacked out colors and have fun with it.  Probably going to use scrap wood from my parents' garage and a bunch of scavenged logs/sticks from the woods near my house.  When everything comes up a little higher I'll take pictures.  I'm just glad to get all those seedlings out of my bedroom because it was looking like a jungle in there.

#57 of 59 Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM

It starts....

Last night was the first night I forgot to pull the tomato starts back indoors.  Gardening season always begins with the best intentions and quickly frazzles into a barely manageable tangle of accidental bounty.  (How's that for a sentence? orngtongue.gif )  The weather is warmer, and it's time to hang on for dear life!

#58 of 59 Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM

ROTFLMAO.gif sweetsilver that's pretty much how my garden goes as well.  

#59 of 59 Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM

so, after 2 months of watering (and spreading in two other pots) ... here's what i have now

(but so busy these last 2 weeks with end of school year activities that i haven't harvested anything yet !)

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page