~*Food Growing Mamas*~ March and April - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello fellow mamas growing food.  Let's chat about what your growing this year and your gardening plans.  We just accepted a counter offer on the house we want with 10 acres so I'm looking forward to growing something this summer.  I might buy some plants to help me out, but by gosh I'm going to see it through to the end of the season!!!  I have moved during the summer the last 3 or 4 years.  I'm so ready to have my garden in one place for a very long time!!

Here is what I'm planning on growing this year:

Wapsipinicon Peach tomatoes

Some kind of cherry tomato (I seem to grow those best anyways, hoping someone has some peacevine to swap. :))

red clover - planted around the tomatoes so they fix nitrogen while they are growing.  :)

kale

cilantro

swiss chard (we eat lots of it here and make pesto with it during the winter) http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/07/recipe-for-chard-and-garlic-scape-pesto.html

spinach

basil

cucumber

zucchini

spaghetti squash

butternut squash

brussel sprouts (if I get to putting some plants in for a Fall garden)

lettuce

probably a few other herbs

In a pot:

Mint - maybe several kinds for my sun tea.  Yum!!  The farmer's market last year that I frequented had it every week at the snack van they had there.  Mint with cherries and lemon was our fave when we made it at home.

My plans are to put in a couple raised beds in the front yard as soon as we move in hopefully.  We need to fence the front yard as well.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 59 Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM

I'm a complete newbie to gardening for food. So far my greatest success has been planting bulbs: my crocus, tulips and lillies are surviving/thriving smile.gif. This spring/summer I want to start with 2 or 3 planters. I'm expecting baby #2 in late July and the prospect of weeding on ground level with ahuge belly doesn't really appeal to me lol. I'd welcome suggestions for what would do well in a pot. So far I'm planning to do a bunch of herbs and maybe try strawberries and tomatoes.
#3 of 59 Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

We finally get a garden this year after moving right around Solstice time last year.  The chickens have been busy in the veggie garden area, which is fenced off from the deer that pass through daily.  I've already plant fava beans, which are sprouting.  Our goals are modest, as the soil is pretty rough.  It is lovely, though, with no rocks at all, but a bit heavy.

We'll be planting peas today or this weekend, and kale.  We have plans for beans, too, and a few pots of tomatoes and are hoping to get some pumpkins, too.  The rhubarb is growing well, but since we just planted it last year, it is off-limits for harvesting for this year and next.  Sorrel is ready to harvest, as are chives.  I have a recipe for chive-and-nettle soup I'd like to try.

I'll be picking up some herb starts to plant up in front of the house where it is sunny and well-drained.  We'll have tons of thyme (my favorite) and garden sage and a handful of others.

I'm getting antsy with all this cold and blustery weather.  It looks like it will be beautiful today, but of course I have to go to work!  Maybe this weekend.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 59 Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I'm a complete newbie to gardening for food. So far my greatest success has been planting bulbs: my crocus, tulips and lillies are surviving/thriving smile.gif. This spring/summer I want to start with 2 or 3 planters. I'm expecting baby #2 in late July and the prospect of weeding on ground level with ahuge belly doesn't really appeal to me lol. I'd welcome suggestions for what would do well in a pot. So far I'm planning to do a bunch of herbs and maybe try strawberries and tomatoes.

wave.giffrom the August DDC.  Renee's Garden Seeds have a lot of good ideas.  http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds.html  Any veggie seeds listed that have a pot next to it are fine in containers.  Lots of good ideas there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

We finally get a garden this year after moving right around Solstice time last year.  The chickens have been busy in the veggie garden area, which is fenced off from the deer that pass through daily.  I've already plant fava beans, which are sprouting.  Our goals are modest, as the soil is pretty rough.  It is lovely, though, with no rocks at all, but a bit heavy.

We'll be planting peas today or this weekend, and kale.  We have plans for beans, too, and a few pots of tomatoes and are hoping to get some pumpkins, too.  The rhubarb is growing well, but since we just planted it last year, it is off-limits for harvesting for this year and next.  Sorrel is ready to harvest, as are chives.  I have a recipe for chive-and-nettle soup I'd like to try.

I'll be picking up some herb starts to plant up in front of the house where it is sunny and well-drained.  We'll have tons of thyme (my favorite) and garden sage and a handful of others.

I'm getting antsy with all this cold and blustery weather.  It looks like it will be beautiful today, but of course I have to go to work!  Maybe this weekend.

Sounds like your busy.  Yes, I'm getting quite antsy here in the Northwoods of WI.  It's usually 40 degrees right now and were still in the 20's.

I found a source for milk jugs for winter sowing so I'm getting excited to be able to start planting seeds and just put the jugs in the snow.  We also are just waiting for approval on our home loan.  The loan officer said it looks good so were just waiting.  So, I will be ecstatic to move my jugs of seedlings to our new place.  thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#5 of 59 Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks so much, Cathy! That website is an excellent resource!
#6 of 59 Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Thanks so much, Cathy! That website is an excellent resource!

No problem!thumb.gif

#7 of 59 Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ooooh yay!  I love food growing threads.  I'm still pretty new to growing food.  2 years ago I started small and did pots of tomatoes and some squash in the ground and some strawberries and cukes.  I was THRILLED that I kept everything alive.  Last year we went pretty hard into it and did multiple plants each of yellow squash, cukes, peppers, zucchini, watermelon(we got one small melon that my oldest daughter was absolutely over the moon about), tomatoes, strawberries, kale, some potatoes that never got very big, and a bunch of spinach and lettuce that was delish along with a small herb garden.  I was so pleased with myself.  But I spent too much and most of my plants were bought as plants.  This year I plan to put all my energy into it and trellis things over other things and use twice the amt of space and grow most things from seed.  I've got seedlings started for the cold-weather stuff(we had snow this past week here in New England).  I'm still just kinda flying by the seat of my pants though as I have no idea what I'm doing.  And I'm working on a shoestring budget(dental floss really).  I can't wait to really dive in and work my garden soil.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 59 Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Ooooh yay!  I love food growing threads.  I'm still pretty new to growing food.  2 years ago I started small and did pots of tomatoes and some squash in the ground and some strawberries and cukes.  I was THRILLED that I kept everything alive.  Last year we went pretty hard into it and did multiple plants each of yellow squash, cukes, peppers, zucchini, watermelon(we got one small melon that my oldest daughter was absolutely over the moon about), tomatoes, strawberries, kale, some potatoes that never got very big, and a bunch of spinach and lettuce that was delish along with a small herb garden.  I was so pleased with myself.  But I spent too much and most of my plants were bought as plants.  This year I plan to put all my energy into it and trellis things over other things and use twice the amt of space and grow most things from seed.  I've got seedlings started for the cold-weather stuff(we had snow this past week here in New England).  I'm still just kinda flying by the seat of my pants though as I have no idea what I'm doing.  And I'm working on a shoestring budget(dental floss really).  I can't wait to really dive in and work my garden soil.

Sounds great!!  Have you tried winter sowing before?  It's really easy and low budget and the seeds basically come up on their own when they are ready.  I use milk jugs and just put them in the snow.  You may have to water them a little when it warms up, but its super easy.  The website with all the info is wintersown.org and Trudi even gives away seeds if you send an SASE.

#9 of 59 Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

We've got a 800sq ft raised beds garden this year that we're expanding slightly for a strawberry bed and more herbs.  This is my 2nd year growing food, last year produced well.  I've set a goal of 500lbs from the garden, but definitely striving for more.  I'm of the "Go Big or Go Home" mentality orngbiggrin.gif.  On the list to grow:

green arrow shelling peas

snow peas

8 potato varieties: Yukon Gold, Dark Red Norland, Cranberry Red, Butte, King Harry, Carola, Swedish Peanut Fingerling, and Rose Finn Apple Fingerling

cucumbers

pickling cucumbers

watermelon

bell peppers

rosa bianca eggplant

tromboncino squash (we'll harvest most young to replace zucchini after we pull the zuke plants and then let a few go to become winter storage squash)

birdhouse ghourds (hoping to make these into birdhouses with the kids)

zucchini (we get the squash vine borer something horrid here, so these will get pulled early)

yellow crookneck summer squash (same as zukes)

5 varieties of tomatoes

4 carrot varieties

parsnips

radishes

2 broccoli varieties

4 garlic varieties (planted in November)

5 onion varieties (some from seed, some from sets)

rainbow chard

I don't know how many varieties of lettuce/ greens (the seed supplier I purchase from has mixes designed for every season that we plant)

sunflowers

herbs: parsley, sage, thyme, hopefully picking up some lavender plants, chamomile, calendula, echinacea purpurea, basil, borage

cover crops: red clover (as an underplanting), buckwheat, oats, winter rye, and field peas

I've got onions, broccoli, and a couple of the herbs winter sown.  I just planted parsnips, carrots, and radishes yesterday using homemade seed tapes.  Peas (both varieties) and the chard seeds were planted last weekend and I've been putting onion sets out whenever I have chance.  I'm also experimenting with winter sowing tomatoes, but we just got a spring snow last night/ this morning, and I haven't checked my tomato jugs today.

We try to go vertical whenever we can and use SFG spacing mostly.  We also are tucking greens, herbs, and flowers wherever we can amongst the plantings.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#10 of 59 Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Wow fillingmyquiver! That's ambitious and sounds like you have it all planned out! My goal is a little more modest... Say 2lb actual edible crop wink1.gif
#11 of 59 Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

FillingMyQuiver - that is awesome.  I have winter sown tomatoes every year and they do awesome for me.  Putting them on the North side of your house so they don't get too warm helps and they won't germinate before their time, hopefully.  I would love to hear updates about how many pounds your garden produces this year.  Keep us updated!! treehugger.gif

skycheattraffic - I know, right, I'm just hoping I get something, esp. being so pregnant in the middle of the growing season and then having a little one and recovering while trying to start a Fall crop.  It will be interesting and hopefully after this I will be able to be more ambitious like Quiver.  This is our last baby so I'm hoping I can do more and have more to can and ferment and dehydrate.  So exciting!!treehugger.gif

#12 of 59 Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Last night we enjoyed a dinner of salmon and sorrel-cream sauce.  I also harvested some Siberia Miner's lettuce for our salad, but I was the only one eating it.   I'm the only one that loooooves sorrel, too.  What is up with this family??  I do not recommend honey mustard dressing with the miner's lettuce-- the dressing was overpowering.

Still waiting for the peas to emerge.  DH is finally sold on the inoculant.  With brand-new garden soil, I wanted to use it this year, he himmed and hawed (old dog). But when my fava beans emerged en masse, while his poked up shyly every 5 feet, he was sold-- and I didn't have to pester him to use it on the peas, which he planted with the girls.

We cleared some more garden space out from under the huge pile of "chicken-y hay" and will be planting kale, carrots, etc.  Right now he is busy hacking blackberries down from a wire fence I want to remove-- but he forgot that I was wanting to wait until after the blackberry harvest irked.gif.  We have to get our plans straight with each other before we start another project!

#13 of 59 Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Over the past week I harvested about 1lb of mixed winter greens that overwintered.  My wintersown tomatoes didn't survive the freeze last week, so I tossed some more seeds in there.  We'll see what happens shrug.gif  I got peppers and eggplants into newspaper pots inside, as soon as they germinate, they'll go under the lights.  I also think I'm going to start my tromboncino and summer squashes inside to get a jump on the growing season.  The tromboncino take forevahhhh to germinate and the summer squashes get hit so hard by the SVB that I'd like to increase my harvest from them as much as possible.

Let's see, the shelling peas and snow peas were planted out last month, too, just waiting for them to emerge.  Though, I think the birds may be going after them.  I'm not sure.

This week will involve more inside starting of seeds and hopefully getting the strawberry bed built and filled so we're ready when the plants come.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#14 of 59 Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Joining in!

I'm in zone 9-10 here, so we're in full swing.  Still putting maturing seedlings into the ground, but have had to hold off a bit this week as I've been having awful trouble with a gopher...it ate at least five of my young tomato plants, two peppers, dill, leeks and cippolini onions.  Not to mention a bunch of cabbage I had finishing up a month ago.  irked.gif

Finally set a seemingly fail-proof blackbox trap yesterday and it looked like it had been triggered last night.  Didn't dig it up to find out, so it might be dirt, but we'll see today.  I hate killing them, but after repellant and relocation haven't been working, I don't know what else to do.  Tried another trap but it only caught one by the rear, so I decided they were just too inhumane.  These blackbox traps look like they're pretty lethal near immediately.

So, dealing with that, but I've got growing:

Spaghetti squash
Slik-Pik yellow squash
Yellow crookneck squash
Diva, Straight 8 and Sour Gherkin cucumbers

Zucchini
Purple and Yellow filet beans
Tomatillos
Butter lettuce
Peppers: Poblanos, Jalapenos, Pepperoncinis, Havasu, Lunchbox sweet minis, King Arthur bells
Tomatoes: Juliet, Valley Girl, Brandywine, Indigo Rose, Cherokee Purple, San Marzano, Evergreen, Sweethearts Grape, Debarao, a couple of new seedless/salsa types, some kind of container hydbrid, Paul Robeson.  Always plant too many tomatoes -- but we freeze and eat them, so, eh!
Cilantro - Basil - Parsley - Rosemary - Dill - Oregano - Thyme
Strawberries: Quinault, Ozark Beauty
Red potatoes
Bunching onions

I potted up a bunch of volunteer seedlings I found, too -- I'd guess a lot are pumpkins, but it'll be a surprise, so that's fun.

And flowers -- everything under the sun.  My Bachelor's Buttons and nasturtiums both started blooming this week.

#15 of 59 Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Yay, I'll join!

I'd include my list from last year, but our garden is 4,000 square feet (plus orchard and grain space)-- we really do try to grow most of what we eat. Our soil is straight clay with large rocks, so it does take more space to do less! Last year we lost most of our autumn harvest to drought, heat, and leaving the whole thing in the hands of hirelings for an "unavoidable" 2 week trip. (We also lost 1/3 of all our livestock at the hands of the "caretakers" grrr.) We got a fair ongoing harvest, tho from the everbearers.

This year, we are due with baby #4 right in the middle of harvest, so we are scaling way back. We are also double digging all our beds & sifting out the rocks (we'll use the big ones to frame the "sunken" beds-- in our drought-prone area, sunken collects & holds more water than raised beds). We've got 2 beds done, and nothing but potatoes in so far. I've been on dr ordered rest, tho, and that ends this week, so I'm getting anxious! Goal this week is the rest of the cold crops- carrots, onions, greens of all kinds, peas, radishes, beets, etc. I haven't even starting seedlings or the warm crops, so you all are motivating me. Tho in zone 7-8, I may as well just start them in the ground in a few weeks. I'm checking out winter sown-- thanks for that link!

Later we plan tomatoes, cukes, squash, peppers, eggplant, more greens, lol, herbs, sweet potatoes, corn, beans, melons...

#16 of 59 Old 04-02-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, everyone is so busy!!  That's great!!  I'm hoping to start seedlings this week since last week was Spring break and there was no play group and therefore no winter sowing vessels to pick up.  So, it will be this week and then I'm packing boxes to move to our 10 acres.  Yay!!  Then hopefully to find some wood on craigslist for raised beds and I will be on my way with a very large belly.  lol  Looks like there are several of us in the same boat pregnancy wise.  I'm going to have to get used to this climate though, this is our first full year here and its zone 3 as opposed to 5, 6, or 9 that I'm used to.  Lots of canning next year hopefully, this year I will just go with what we get and be happy to actually see the season through its entirety. 

#17 of 59 Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I reconstructed my pea trellis today.  Last year it was in a 4'x4' bed, this year it's in an 4'x8' bed AND I made it entirely too tall last year.  I shortened it and made it fit the 8' length.

This weather has been ridiculous.  I went back and looked at last year's information and by April 10th 2012 I already had pea plants at 3" tall and lettuce, swiss chard, and broccoli seedlings were at least 2" tall.  This year, because of our late snows and late frosts, I got my peas in on March 15th, but they haven't done anything.  I go check everyday for emerging green and nothing.  I'm starting to worry I may need to do another planting, especially since it seems as though the birds may be going after the seeds.irked.gif  I also think they're going after my lettuce seeds I sowed 2 days ago, I'm thinking I may need to put up my hoops with some netting.

I just transplanted my wintersown broccoli and most of them barely have their first set of true leaves.  I'm hoping this warm streak we're having will get things moving.

#18 of 59 Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM

I've got a ten week-old -- it is a juggling act!  I've never been heavy pregnant in the summer -- three winter babies -- so I'm feeling for you mamas.  At least a garden will be a good distraction during those last couple of months!

Caught the gopher.  Dug up the trap yesterday morning and it had shoved it full of dirt.  Dug a new hole, deeper this time, and reset it -- caught it within a couple of hours.  It was sad, but luckily appears that it didn't suffer.  Maybe now my plants can do some growing!  I'm almost positive there was only this one gopher left.  Reset it last night and it still hasn't been triggered, so crossing fingers.  After trying so many different solutions, I can say this trap was definitely the most effective (and humane, as far as the other traps I'd tried).  If you get one, the blackbox trap is definitely the way to go.

#19 of 59 Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM

I've had a rather cruddy, though large, garden the last few years. I had created unsupported raised beds, but the soil quality in my yard was so bad that it grew weeds, and not much else! The soil hardly registered any nutrients, and was about 90% sand when I did a copyist ion test. After two years of abundant weeds, beets that wouldn't germinate, spinich that would bolt before it grew more than two inches I decided to start over fresh.

Last fall we built supported raised beds: each half of the garden has: four 4X8 beds connected with a large 4X22 bed... kind of large comb shape. There is a total of 432 square feet. I also have a 4x20 ft asparagus bed and four blueberries interspersed with alpine strawberries. There is a large barrel with horseradish. All of the pathways have weed cloth and a thick layer of cedar chips. We filled the beds with garden soil from a local bark and soil center. It is great stuff!

In the front of the 3 ft garden fence we made a long, thin raised bed. It has culinary herbs and lots of flowers; various bulbs and later we'll plant annuals.

Right now I have a 4x18 space planted with soft neck and hardneck garlic. The peas, radishes, spinich, salad turnips, and cilantro went in last week and are germinating. I just planted three different kinds of beets and two kinds of carrots today.

I will be planting lots of other things; all the usual edible plants. But my real goal with my garden is to establish a viable and abundant winter garden. In the Maritime Northwest we get ridiculous amounts of rain and little sun for half of the year, but we do have fairly mild winters. It is my goal to learn about winter gardening, and by using hardy varieties and/or hoop tunnels over my beds feed us daily from the winter garden.

I have plans for winter hardy greens, overwintering leeks, carrots, and salad turnips, and summer planted veggies that overwinter and come to harvest early in the spring when other seeds are just getting planted.

I have a lot to learn!
#20 of 59 Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Happy to be able to post in this thread!  Last year we had no garden-  Our neighbors planted a bamboo forest in their backyard and the tendrils snaked under the fence and took over our garden space angry.gif.  Last year when we should have been planting and harvesting, my husband was out there digging up and hacking the bamboo shoots.  It was so sad not to have our garden!  It fell into such a state of disrepair that I wondered if we would have the time and energy to get it ready for this spring!  

Then my awesome husband surprised me and has spent a good amount of his vacation time in the garden building garden boxes and laying brick pathways between them!   We are on track to be able to start planting next week, and it's going to look beautiful!  Now I have to hurry up and plan what we want to grow-  We love spinach and peas in this house so we devote a lot of space for them.  Will probably put in some green beans and carrots too, and who knows what else!  I'm just so excited that it's happening!

I'm going to start some herbs indoors this week.  Actually I will put them in mini greenhouses and set them in the backyard (gets the most sun) in the daytime and bring them in at night.  Last time I tried keeping them in the kitchen window and they did not do so well- not enough sunlight I guess.  Hope this works better, although it is still chilly here most days.

#21 of 59 Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Hi ladies, is it okay if I join?  I am not currently gardening, but as soon as I get home I will be starting.  Well I guess you could kind of say I'm gardening now since I do help my aunt in her garden a lot while I am in Texas...but anyway I would love to talk and get advice if it's okay that I join. :)

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#22 of 59 Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John16n33 View Post

Hi ladies, is it okay if I join?  I am not currently gardening, but as soon as I get home I will be starting.  Well I guess you could kind of say I'm gardening now since I do help my aunt in her garden a lot while I am in Texas...but anyway I would love to talk and get advice if it's okay that I join. :)

Of course you can join!!  treehugger.gif

#23 of 59 Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I finally started my seeds with some milk jugs from a fellow mama.  thumb.gif

mum4vr likes this.

#24 of 59 Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 AM

I like that you can flip the tops back on those planters....

#25 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Im on my phone so I'll be quick. just wondering about the cheapest way to get decent soil. my soil is crap now.

#26 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM

I love the milk jug idea. Has anyone ever started their seedlings in eggshells? My first graders read about it last week and apparently you can stick the whole think in the ground since egg shells decompose so quickly.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#27 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Hi!!!!
It's been awhile!
Congrats on your family and pregnancy Farmer Cathy!

I've stuck my thumbs back in the soil and our garden is growing well this spring. A good friend is working with me for part of the harvest.

Right now we are growing chard, spinach, carrots, dwarf pak choi (that is leafy, but doesn't look right yet), cilantro, kale, mesclun, peas, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, basil, cukes. Sadly, the heat will snap most of the greens soon, except the chard! We are going to try Malabar Spinach. Last year was tough on the garden. Here is a pic of a tightly planted tomato, basil, cucumber and pansy bed. SFG says this is OK with indeterminate tomatoes, we have 8' stakes in there and plan to use shade cloth sometime in the summer.

edit: pardon my cardboard stash! smile.gif
#28 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 PM

I tried seedlings in eggshells last year but they didn't decompose as fast as I thought they would.  I just tilled my garden this year about 2 weeks ago and found big pieces of eggshell from last year in there.

#29 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Re cheapest soil -- (not quickest, but often free and very very good soil) manure/ animal litter/ bedding + straw + time. This year we fill our dug beds with cow pies (which the neighboring cattle so kindly donate when they break thru my fence on a regular basis) and pine straw (which is everwhere around here! I'd use grain straw if it were as cheap/free... it'll make my beds acid, so I may lime/ ash some for alkali lovers.) This year the crustiferous veggies will do great & from then on everything else will follow. For cheap + good + fast/ instant, idk, please post if you find anything!

Re eggshells-- they break down fastest in acidic soil. It hasn't worked well for me unless I break/ crush in the  bottom of the shell when I plant. Long term, it's great to add calcium to the soil, but for that, I usually powder the eggshells (if I can spare any from feeding them back to my hens or taking in caps myself-- they're good calcium for everyone!) I know if you set the eggshells in a tray of vinegar, they dissolve quickly, but I'd be afraid to expose tiny rootlets to the vinegar...

#30 of 59 Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post

This year the crustiferous veggies will do great & from then on everything else will follow.....

ROTFLMAO.gif"crustiferous": "cruciferous".  Fun.  I hope you don't mind my laughing.  You had me started at the cowpies...... biglaugh.gif

mum4vr likes this.

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page