Cats digging in garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Worst part is.....it's my own dang cats.  Both of them.  They dig up fresh seedlings and kill them.  They like to crap in my organic veggie garden.  I wanna throttle 'em.  Keeping them indoors isn't an option.  They are feral rescues and they sit there screaming at the backdoor and attempting escape everytime someone opens or closes a door.  Even if I WANTED to keep them in, it's nearly impossible.  They are really fast when they want something.  I've tried planting catnip in various locations throughout the garden to draw them away but they largely ignore it.  Other thoughts?

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#2 of 4 Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

We bought something to keep neighborhood cats away from our front door because it would upset our indoor cat and they would end up marking their territory on each side of the door.  It's a powder that contains cayenne pepper and dried blood.  It sounds gross, but my Dad said it helped keep animals out of his vegetable garden.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had this problem last year w/ a few strays.  I took disposable plastic forks & knives and stuck them handle down in the beds.  It really worked!  This year we haven't had a problem because we've mulched w/ straw and I don't think they like the texture.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#4 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

We have a lot of bamboo around, and we use that.  Also, chicken wire laid over the tops of the beds works well, and also prevents birds from scratching things to pieces.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page