Does anyone live in Hawaii? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello-

I will be back on Oahu in late May (currently in Texas student teaching) and Dh has built me a 5x12 raised garden bed that is 6" tall.  I am really looking forward to starting my garden once I get back but I have no idea what to grow.  The only things I have decided on are cucumbers, radishes, and I think I can arrange pumpkins so they actually grow over the side.  I would like to grow carrots and potatoes but I don't think it's deep enough (I think I can grow potatoes in separate pots though) and I plan to grow tomatoes.  I don't want this whole box to be filled with pumpkins, cucumbers, radishes, and tomatoes though. 

So my question is:  if you had limited space what would you plant?  I am hoping I can convince him to build me another small 3x3 or 4x4 box to plant herbs in as well.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm going to bump this in the hopes that someone from Hawaii will see it and give you some ideas, but I also want to point you to the Finding My Tribe forum for your area. Maybe you want to post something there too. smile.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/93/alaska-and-hawaii

I hope you get an answer smile.gif
#3 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I suppose you are here by now and maybe when on the tribes forum. I am actually pretty new, in terms of my life, to gardening. Here is what I have found for us (we use containers) squash and things grow well but have yet to produce fruit. We are working on corn. People in our area grow nice corn. Basil grows. Beans have produced but hen got eaten. We have had a few strawberries. We have had some tomatoes. I had a great Napa cabbage but then our chickens ate it! 

I am interested in how your garden worked out. Do you grow parsley?? That herb never grows for me!!

Tags
Gardening

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page