'Back to Eden' gardening methods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just watched this film and am very intrigued.  I'm considering trying the wood chip method they recommend.  Does anyone here garden with their methods?  What have you done and what results have you had?  Any trouble finding the wood chips they describe (including the green leaves)?  Where did you find your source?

I have a VERY small space--what I affectionately call my "micro-garden."  Plants are strategically placed and are closer than what is usually recommended, but they are healthy and yield is good.  Would this method work well with such a small space and plants in tight proximity?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I don't have any info but I am sure someone does. I am bumping your post. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I put heavy bark mulch in one part of my yard, and the crab grass just grew right up through it.  Then I put down landscape fabric with mulch over the top of it to kill the grass in another part of the yard, and that has been perfect.  Not a weed or blade of grass in sight.  If you don't need to kill grass, mulching is great for a garden.  But if you are starting with lawn, you will have to either dig up the turf and cultivate, or do it the easy way and use landscape fabric. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I haven't started it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a small space. He based this off of naturally occuring growth in forests where there are no rows or square foots or whatnot.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw the videos of this method as well.... I'm curious to try the chicken manure he recommends, but have no local source available.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is an excellent article on mulching by the Royal Horticultural Society:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=323

Note the use of spent mushroom compost here  but check your soil's acidity before forking in the compost. It's not suitable around ericaceous plants like heathers and camelias. We grow our own mushrooms for commercial purposes, so when the compost is spent, I get to use it for my kitchen garden. However, spent mushroom compost is very cheap and its nutrient quality for growing vegetables is excellent, so shop around for the best price.

Relating to the name of your topic, "Back to Eden", you might like to watch this excellent short film on The Eden Project that is down in Cornwall in our West Country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0AP2D4MOjM

For a garden that contains its own micro climate, you also might like to consider buying a poly tunnel. They come in various lengths and can even be built into a small dome. Poly tunnels are easy to erect and take down. Their insulating properties especially in winter is excellent. I grow a great deal of my own produce using these because they are far cheaper to buy than a standard greenhouse.

My love for horticulture first began with a few tomato seeds. I was 12 years old, bored with my classmates' endless chatter about boys and the latest fashion. I went off to discover the school's old Victorian greenhouse, and it was there that my love for horticulture started. Five years later and I am working towards my Masters.

Good luck with Growing!  :thumb 

Tags
Gardening
User Tag List