~*Food Growing Mamas*~ May Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I keep forgetting about this thread.  It's so quiet.  Did you get your DE EartRootsStarSoul?  I got mine on Amazon.  I couldn't find it locally.http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Wisdom-Grade-Diatomaceous-Earth/dp/B003QJ8CSE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372289041&sr=8-3&keywords=food+grade+diatomaceous+earth

I just made my first pesto of the season.  I could sit there and eat it by the spoonful it's so good.  eat.gif   We are already loving our lettuce and sugar peas.  My green beans are just starting to flower, can't wait for those.  I have baby green tomatoes everywhere and little yellow summer squash growing every day.  My watermelon vines have been all but decimated by earwigs unfortunately but I salvaged the pumpkin plants.  I'm sure those will be super late, more like November pumpkins, but that's okay.  My 5 year old got the seeds from school and she planted them herself so all that matters is she gets something tiny before it all dies off.  The cukes are slowly but surely growing and I have a tiny little cucumber that just showed up this morning on the vine.  Even the herbs are starting to take off finally.  I just gave them all a haircut so I have clusters of drying herbs all over my kitchen walls.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#32 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Oh and the only thing that's really NOT doing well is my pepper plants.  I don't get it.  They refuse to grow at all.  They don't look unhealthy, they just aren't growing.  I'm confused what I'm doing wrong.  it's been 95 degrees for the last few days, tons of sun.  They arent' dried out, I've been making sure they get water regularly if it doesn't rain.  I'm baffled.

#33 of 36 Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The two things that come to mind are transplant shock if you planted them not to long ago or something is missing in the soil. Maybe try some liquid fertilizer or homemade grass/compost tea?

Justmama, I'm so jealous of how much you have growing and how far along they are!
#34 of 36 Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Definitely not transplant shock.  It's been over a month with no growth.  I have put down some compost around them a few times without seeing changes.  Epsom salt maybe???

#35 of 36 Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have some zucchini almost ready and kale.  I was eating cucumbers late June last year and so far I only have flowers.  My peppers and tomatoes are doing well but all still very green.  Carrots, corn, beets were slow to germinate and seem to be slow growing. 

Potatoes, onions, black and green beans all seem to be thriving.

2nd week of July, what is everyone harvesting these days and where are you located?

#36 of 36 Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM

I'm in New England and harvesting just swiss chard, sugar snap peas, lettuce, summer squash, and herbs still.  I've got HUGE green tomatoes that aren't ripe yet and cukes that are just starting to grow.  Green beans are tiny but hopefully ready in a week or so.  I ended up ripping out my pepper plants because they weren't doing squat and they were just taking up space.  I'll have to just continue to buy peppers at the farmer's market.  I've got small onions that are coming along nicely that I'm really excited about and I'm planning already for the winter garden.  I've got broccoli seeds started and kale, round two of onions, and garlic on order, along with sugar snap pea and carrot seeds both waiting for space in the garden to get started.  My watermelon and pumpkin seeds were started late so I'm not positive they'll be ready in time but my preschooler planted them on her own so I couldn't very well say no.  I'm just hoping for a tiny one of each to make her feel special that she grew them.  Nothing big and fancy.

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page