~*Food Growing Mamas*~ May Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I wanted to start a new thread since the other is getting bigger and I'm hoping to have someone continue this for me for the growing season.  Anyone like to volunteer??   I'm trying to be on the computer less since we are moving to our "forever" home after the 21st of this month and we have lots to do plus a baby coming the end of July.

My winter sown seeds are growing well now that the sun's been out and the snow has finally, mostly, all melted.  There is a patch down the street that is still there.  lol  I will try to be on here when I can and post pics of my new digs when I get them in with the hubs.  Started my 3rd trimester yesterday so I'm going to do what I can.

Happy Growing!!treehugger.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I am so envious. We are moving and I decided not to do any planting this year. I cannot wait for next year so I can start doing some planting again!

#3 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Went and harvested some peppermint, hung to dry and when I was picking off the dried leaves I noticed many had tell-tale signs of mint rust... Grrr...  Sucks because I had hoped to have some homemade peppermint tea bags sewed and stuffed as a gift to a friend ready this week.  Now I have to go cut the whole thing down to ground level and cover with new soil and pray that the new growth comes in clean.

On a happier note, I picked up some chamomile and some interesting hot pepper varieties at the homesteading store.  I've decided not to grow flowers in the front this year, and instead fill the beds with more herbs and veggies!  I'm running out of garden real estate...

And finally, my spinach and squash and ONE corn are popping up in the garden!  And some lettuce too.  It's a miracle, since my youngest was chasing the cat through our garden beds the other day angry.gif

#4 of 36 Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Almost ready to be harvesting some lettuce to supplement our storebought salad fixings soon!!!  But unfortunately we are getting frost warnings for tonight so I have to cover my entire garden and hope for the best.  My littlest one and I were brainstorming on the way to preschool this morning how we could save our garden.  greensad.gif

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#5 of 36 Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Almost ready to be harvesting some lettuce to supplement our storebought salad fixings soon!!!  But unfortunately we are getting frost warnings for tonight so I have to cover my entire garden and hope for the best.  My littlest one and I were brainstorming on the way to preschool this morning how we could save our garden.  greensad.gif

Fingers crossed for your garden justmama!  Where do you live?

Pumpkins are out now too!  One plant is coming in quite yellow...makes me wonder if it is malnourished somehow already?  

It's great to see all my little green babies growing every day!

#6 of 36 Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm in New England but we've been seeing some unseasonably warm temps for the last month or so.  Yesterday it was nearly 80 degrees!  Today it was a more seasonable 62.  But so far everything has survived well and seems to be thriving.  I pinched off a tiny bit of my broccoli and it's lovely and sweet.  I tried it last year only to lose all my plants to cabbage worms but my 4 plants this year are absolutely thriving and bug-free.  Lettuce is ready to harvest and eat.  My sugar peas should start flowering anytime now.  I just tied them up to the trellis today since they are so tall.

#7 of 36 Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Glad to hear it justmama!  

It's been cold and rainy and a bit windy here in the PNW (which is to be expected, but we had a few days of 80 degree weather and it's such a bummer to come back to this, even though I knew the warm weather wouldn't last).  I worry a bit about my seedlings out there, but not too much I can do about it.  

I still need to put my new herb and pepper starts in the ground, but I'm a bit indecisive as to where to place them, plus I don't really want to be out there in the cold and rain and wind...

#8 of 36 Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM

I'm in the PNW too and still waiting to plant my tomato, basil, pepper, squash, and corn transplants since it has been so cold and rainy. I've put off planting pole and drying beans too. I'm hopeful that the next few weeks will bring some warmer weather and I can get everything in the ground! Already enjoying some lettuce, spinach, and pac choi but I'm so looking forward the next few months once things really get growing!

Excited that your broccoli is doing well, justmama! It can be frustrating to lose plants to pests - I lost a few broccoli and cauliflower last year too.
#9 of 36 Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 AM

hey ladies! here in tennessee its been humid and hot but the garden is coming in awesome.. i went with a raised bed system up near our cabin since my greenhouse and better garden spot are a bit of a walk and when the heat gets bad i wont have to go so far to tend it.. i have strawberries growing but no fruit yet.. my potatoes are going crazy as are my onions and my tomatoes have blooms... ive had good luck with some radicchio lettuce plants too. hoping that by the time the significant other comes home from working in the mountains he will be able to pick a few things to eat. I still want to get in some peppers and maybe some herbs but im fighting with the woods for sun so all in all im just happy i have some stuff coming in.. the flowers look good too.. to be pregnant and less than motivated im really satisfied with the garden so far.. i hope you all have great luck in your gardens!

#10 of 36 Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Just harvested some nice, fat spinach for a salad last night.  That's the first real harvest from our brand-new garden so far this year.  Planted tomatoes out, for better or for worse.  Trying lime this year to see if they do better than usual.  I'm usually not much for amendments beyond compost and manure, but I understand tomatoes really love the lime, so I'm giving it a try.  Plus, with the garden being so new and all, every little thing helps.  Hopefully they won't get too chilled, making the lime pointless.

PNWers--

Scarlet runner beans are a good bean to start in this chill stretch of spring.  I've even had them overwinter and produce nice crops.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#11 of 36 Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Hey! I'm new!!

My husband and I are trying to garden for the first time. The only other time I've ever grown anything was herbs on our patio one year.. this year we dug up our whole backyard!

We're calling it Bigheart Tinyfarm and I made a little map of where we're putting all the plants

I live in Northern Alberta, so we're starting a lot later than everyone else, but here's hoping we get a little harvest to encourage us smile.gif

Nice to meet all of you!
EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.

Artist and DIY enthusiast on a happiness quest, I'm a crafty Mama to my sweet girl, pos.gif #2 due Dec 2013

Vegan. treehugger.gif EBF. winner.jpg
#12 of 36 Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 AM

This is my garden this year.  We have a massive oak tree in the back so there's not a lot of shade and my landlord has planted trees and flowers along both borders of the yard.  This is all that's left for me to garden in.  But this is as it stands last night.  The buckets of stuff aren't faring well.  I'm going to see if I can grab some pallets to put there instead.  It's the very top of my driveway.  All that's not pictured is two window boxes of herbs, a hanging planter of herbs, and some random potted herbs on my front steps.  Packed into my garden in the top photo is pumpkins, strawberries, zucchini, summer squash, two kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, broccoli, sugar snap peas, onions, and green beans.  I have homemade trellises being constructed to put up the cukes over the lettuce at my mom's house right now so once they are big enough, that's the plan.  The bucket at the very top of the garden is a little bit of spinach I chucked in for giggles.  The buckets have tomato overflow, parsley(which I have no idea how I nearly killed), and watermelons.  

EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.

#13 of 36 Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I just turned my whole front yard (which is a pretty small area) into a garden.  I mixed in flowers and foliage plants with veggie and herb plants--I'm not the type of person to plant in rows.  'This should go here, that should go there, etc.'  Haphazard, but with good balance and appreciation for microclimates.  Some old ladies actually stopped their car to admire my garden.  That felt great! 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#14 of 36 Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Well we are back in Hawaii and today I finally get to go get the dirt for my garden! I am so excited.  I have plans to clean all day today and tomorrow I am doing yard work and getting this garden in.  Question, at our local store the compost is a little less expensive than the gardening soil.  What would be a good compost/soil ratio for my raised bed.  Would 50/50 be too much compost?

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#15 of 36 Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM

And the garden is in! So far I have 4 strawberry plants, radishes, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, and string beans planted in the big bed.  I also have mint planted in a container on my porch.  I had planned to plant corn in my garden but it is only 6" deep so I think I am going to get a few big containers to put corn and tomatoes in.  I am still waiting for my basil, parsley, and dill to come from the local nursery.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#16 of 36 Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 PM

So problem number one has surfaced in my garden....my dog.  She has tore out two of my strawberry plants (hopefully I can salvage them) and trampled over everything else.  I am hoping since the seedlings haven't sprouted yet that maybe she hasn't destroyed them.  Is there any hope?

-Meagan

#17 of 36 Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Everything else should be just fine.  I would put up some fencing asap!  Our dog didn't get it either.

DD 2/08
#18 of 36 Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Oh I will be on Friday, as soon as we get paid!  I think she kind of looks at the garden as a giant dirt pit for her enjoyment as of now lol.

-Meagan

#19 of 36 Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM

My dogs are the same way! They chase each other around the garden destroying seedlings and relocating seeds irked.gif. I'm using pruned branches staked in the ground with bright orange surveyors tape weaved around the plots until the seedlings are big enough that they'll leave them alone. Bit of an eyesore right now but it's cheap and reuseable. It's working well but I have small dogs.
#20 of 36 Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM

My cats do that.  They loooooove to dig in my garden and kill seedlings.  Along with keeping the dog out of the garden with sticks or something you might try sinking plastic pots iwth the bottoms cut off and planting in them.  I did that to try to prevent earwigs from destroying my garden last year and it worked well(with two other things as a three pronged approach.  I got all fancy. ) but a side benefit was that it was tougher for my cats to dig up everything.  This year there may or may not have been muttered obscenities every day in the earlier stages of the garden.

#21 of 36 Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 AM

Hi Mamas! New here. im in NY! ANd I just wondered..is it to late to start seeds now? And if it isnt could or should I start them directly in the ground or should I start them and then place in the ground? Seems kinda late in the year I know but its been pretty cold ehre. Finally just getting some decent weather!

#22 of 36 Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

It's not too late in the PNW to plant pumpkins and bean seeds. It might be too hot in your climate to start lettuces without bolting in the sun and heat (and solstice time causes annuals to bolt--sometimes without even giving you a crop!  So, usually for that reason June is a hard time for planting those crops.)  

I would wait until you can plant your fall crops (usually mid-July) but I don't know about what your falls are like--ours are mild and crops like kale a broccoli and a second round of lettuces and young turnips are popular.  Check with other gardeners, ask the farmers at the markets and see what you are able to do.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#23 of 36 Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Should I be worried?  I planted my garden 10 days ago and literally NOTHING has sprouted.  I planted radishes, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, and string beans.  My dog has also continued to attack my strawberry plants but has only walked through the garden once again.  I just feel they should have sprouted by now.

-Meagan

#24 of 36 Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 AM

I wouldn't worry TOO much.  My sweet corn took over two weeks to sprout this year.  I think our funky weather isn't helping things.

DD 2/08
#25 of 36 Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM

I wouldn't panic yet.  Give it a few more days.  As long as conditions are right(sun, water, etc) you are still within normal limits.

#26 of 36 Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM

We are enjoying broccoli, lettuce, spinach, sugar peas, and the first few strawberries of the season right now.  Everything is just taking off and starting to really do what it's supposed to do.  My garden is completely PACKED with less space than it all should have, and pots strewn in every sunny location I have with overflow at my mom's house on her deck in pots.  Hopefully it'll be a great harvest this summer/fall.

#27 of 36 Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM

How do you keep squirrels out of the garden?  One of my broccoli plants just got chewed up completely. 

#28 of 36 Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM

#29 of 36 Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 PM

So I decided to try again and start some seeds inside this time.  Luckily for me the weather in Hawaii stays the same pretty much year round so it's not too late to get these suckers in.  I'm saying prayers for round two though!

-Meagan

#30 of 36 Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM

My strawberries are getting ransacked by a combination of pill bugs, slugs, and earwigs.  Should I try DE?  Where can I buy it?

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page