Use up one kind of fertilizer for another kind of plant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've got some 'Master Nursery' brand 5-10-5 bulb fertilizer, not bothering with bulbs this year. Can other plants benefit from it? Also, I don't want to just toss some around the yard. Would that burn or poison other plants?

I've got a couple tomatoes, a jalepeno, a rosemary and a sage, all in containers. Can they use this kind of food?

How about the lawn?  Would 5-10-5 be okay for it?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Disclaimer: I am not a fertilizer expert!  I am still learning about stuff beyond just compost and chicken poo, but with a garden on an area that has never been under cultivation before, I'm getting a crash course.

That second number is what supports the bloom of the bulb.  The first number is nitrogen, so that is relatively low.  Bulbs use/need very little nitrogen compared to other flowering plants, but otherwise the numbers on this fertilizer don't seem too unbalanced.  I wouldn't use it on the lawn or in the herb containers.  You can try using it on other flowering plants, and supplement it with small amount of nitrogen in a few weeks.  Often the back of the box has other suggestions.  I wouldn't use it on the jalapenos, unless they are young and you support it with extra nitrogen as they grow.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you! I found some bulbs in the back yard (it's a rental). Not 2 pounds of fertilizer worth, but I'll dig some in and water them, see what happens.  Then I might just scatter the rest around under the bushes.  

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Really any flowering plant will benefit from it.  If you have flowering annuals, they will love it and because they are hungrier you can give them extra.  Flowering shrubs would be good, as they have less fertilizer needs-- but I would be cautious as some don't do well with extra fertilizer.

Is it organic?  That makes a huge difference.  Organic is usually slower to release.  Some chemical fertilizers are slow-release as well, but it's not "built in", so to speak.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Gardening
User Tag List