Anyone have some garden photos? What's growing at your house? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Momsteader
  • 1 Post By Viola
  • 1 Post By justmama
  • 1 Post By luckymamaoftwo
  • 1 Post By luckymamaoftwo
  • 1 Post By Momsteader
  • 1 Post By cynthia mosher
  • 1 Post By Wedemire
  • 2 Post By IsaFrench
  • 1 Post By justmama
  • 1 Post By IsaFrench

#1 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would love to see some photos of how things are progressing at your house!  My stuff is still puny. It's only been about 10 days since it was still 35 degrees at night here. We've been getting a lot of rain and things are blooming.  Veggies....not so much here yet.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#2 of 21 Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Gorgeous!  I'm not a gardener myself but my sister keeps a lovely one. I'll get a shot of her's and post it. 

We need a gardening smilie!

#3 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My tomato plants are so tiny, but my early girl finally has a blossom.  It's been chilly here, and it gets pretty cool at night.  I think they want more heat.  My peas are doing well.

cynthia mosher likes this.
#4 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'll have to get one tomorrow.  My garden is getting huge and it's packed with stuff.  I think I went a little overboard this year.lol.gif  My tomatoes are almost as tall as my 5 year old though.  I'm in New England. but it's been in the 90's for the last week and they are growing INCHES every day now.

Wedemire likes this.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#5 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM

I'll join in (post pictures later)! We just finished our broccoli and kale (highly recommend trying your green thumb at both these)..they were very productive. The chickens are enjoying the pulled plants and leftover leaves from both of these. :-)

We're now harvesting lots of romaine lettuce and a tiny bit of basil. In addition we've planted carrots, beans, potatoes (yukon and fingerlings), garlic (planted in the fall...harvest soon I hope), zucchini, cantaloupe, butternut squash, yellow crookneck, cilantro, a few onions, one eggplant, lemon cucumber and four tomato varieties both cherry and slicing. We eat a ton from our garden and although it costs a bit to get started each spring, I do think it saves us money since we buy only organic for many of the veggies I've listed, so growing our own helps! I can't wait to see how everything progresses once our rain ends.

I'll be checking back for other replies!

#6 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Momsteader~what did you plant this year? 

#7 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

All I have left is just have tomatoes, rhubarb, and herbs (basil, mint, dill, chives). We had a really cold, wet start to our summer and a bad rainstorm (basically a mini flood!) washed away lots of my seedlings. I didn't have the heart to start over. Soooo we'll go with the pretty flowers that are growing great with all the water. Enjoy our tomatoes (if they ever get enough heat to grow/flower!). 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#8 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Not exactly garden but rather potted garden waiting to be planted.

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#9 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM

I have a bit of everything and I love going overboard too! We have onions, leeks, shallots, 4 garlic varieties, 8 different drying beans, pole beans, peas, carrots, beets, potatoes, peppers, 5 different tomatoes, lettuce, kale, zucchini, pumpkins, 3 winter squash varieties, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, quinoa, amaranth and a variety of herbs and flowers to round it out. I've started Brussel sprouts indoors for planting out in another month. We eat mostly from our garden during the summer and have lots to dry, freeze, and can for the rest of the year. Had our first raspberries of the season last week and my baby girl loves them! She starts bouncing up and down in the sling when she sees them joy.gif. I'm having problems getting a pic posted but I'll keep trying.
#10 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i don't have a garden, just a balcony space ... but have tried growing kale from seeds for the first time

#11 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Nice! love.gif

#12 of 21 Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

i don't have a garden, just a balcony space ... but have tried growing kale from seeds for the first time

Your kale is beautiful!!!  I bet you could stick in some herbs around the kale since it's already established.  Maybe you could do something like oregano which sorta will trail over the side and not get too bushy.  Maybe some chives would do the same and sorta grow AROUND the kale without blocking it's sun ya know?  I'd stay away from bushier stuff like basil though.

#13 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 AM

thanks for the suggestion for chives, i have seeds which i tried growing twice without success so far (comes to 2 -3 inches and then sort of stop growing and dies ..) =>am going to drop some directly in there

(i tried inside in March and then outside on the front much sunnier balcony in June & either forgot to water or it got knocked down a few times ....)

#14 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM

These are recent:

It's summer in Brazil!

Brazilian; married to dp; currently on the adoption list (fingers crossed!); interested in minimalism and simple living; rusty english.
2014 in 2014 : 131/2014
#15 of 21 Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Brasil View Post

These are recent:

It's summer in Brazil!

What is that second plant called?  It's lovely!

#16 of 21 Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 AM

re planted some kale seeds 6 weeks ago

#17 of 21 Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Good to see all the gardening inspiration! Self-sufficiency & growing edible plants is an under-utilized option, IMO.

I planted double the amount this year in the same amount of space as last year by combining: kale with leeks, carrots with corn, peas with squash, etc. I also planted several pots this year. Melons have done well in pots for me in the past as only the roots need to be in soil while the vines can ramble (water almost daily, tho!)
#18 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM

I love looking at pictures of people's backyard gardens...especially the small ones like ours.
I've been keeping a blog with semi-regular updates of my garden. Here is this years second update http://theplaceunderthepine.blogspot...-update-2.html
#19 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM

well, these 3 pots of kale on my balcony have been good to me = i've had about 20 leaves in my mixed salad most days since i last posted (6 weeks ago ?) which prompted me to find a more local supplier of organic seeds so i know have two packs of a different variety .... have already been eating some too !
off for a few days, have instructed my children to water daily (the front balcony is sun hardy all year round non edible plants + two pots of basil = we'll see by looking at the basil if DD1 can be relied on-she's got the front balcony- DS is allocated the back balcony - there's 3 more pots on top of the raillings ...)
pumabearclan likes this.
#20 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Subbing... I'll try to get some pics tomorrow to post. We have an okay garden. We weren't ready since we didn't have gardening space in our rental early this year and only moved here a few weeks back so we were late getting started. I do have some things growing though they're way behind the other gardens in the area. We do have cucumbers coming in and tons of beans though. Tomatoes are popping up but not big or turning color yet. I have a couple of cute baby squash out there too. We've pulled a couple of banana peppers but don't have any others yet. Most of it is "blooming" but no produce showing yet.

We planted - corn, cucumbers, banana peppers, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, watermelon, and a few lettuce and carrots. Lots of rain washed out and killed some of it but it's doing ok. I need to do some serious weeding since part of the garden (with the carrots and lettuce) got taken over.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#21 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Just posted another update - have the kids eating in this one. Our raspberries are staring to ripen and our lettuce is ready to go too.

http://theplaceunderthepine.blogspot...-update-3.html

Tags
Gardening

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page