Squash...help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-26-2002, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Master Gardening Friends
I recently added my home made compost to my garden and now I have tomotoes and zucchini sprouting up all over the place !!!
1.Tomoto plants are about 10inches tall do I have to "steak" them ? and when ?
2.Zucchini plants are growing as a bush not vines all over the garden ..i have had many blossoms and a few have "fruit" on them ...can I disgard the dead blossoms or trim back some of the leaves without affecting the production of squash?
3.How often do I need to water these plants ( i live in phoenix)
4.Any other tips I can use???????????
thanks
#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2002, 02:54 PM

I like to put a 'cage' or stake to guide the tomato plant onto before it gets too big. Usually around the time it starts producing fruit, it's time to support the limbs.
My zucchini and squash are all bushy plants, I've never seen one that was a true vine. They pretty much take care of themselves, I've never worried about dead blossoms or trimmed back any leaves. Why do you trim back the leaves? Might not be good to let too much sun hit the fruits.
I water the tomatoes deeply every other day, the squash get water every morning. As the heat picks up here (FL), I will water the tomatoes every day, too. I mulch with oak leaves, which helps keep the roots cool and the weeds down.
Good luck!!
#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2002, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Sahara,
Thanks for the hints ..I think my thumb may turn green this summer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page