are all non-organic strawberries genetically modified? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2002, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I had heard but dh went and planted some anyway. Do I have Frankenstein strawberries in my garden now?
#2 of 3 Old 06-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Location: too close to a playground of the rich and famous to be able to afford rent, CO
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done quite a lot of activist work around the issues of genetic engineering, but I don't think anyone can decidedly say, yes or no to your question. The general guideline that I go by is that if I am buying something that is not organic, and it is a food product/crop that I know is among those that are genetically engineered, then I typically assume that it probably is. Genetically engineered products in our food is an interesting issue - it's nice to be able to buy things that are GMO free, but in my society at least that often corresponds to income. While I try to buy organic and local and such as available, I am not always able to afford to. So my strawberry plants are not organic ones. It's also about considering how things are typically altered. Strawberries often have fish genes inserted, in theory to help make them frost resistant (how do they come up with this nonsense!). Corn is often "BT" corn - and while "BT" does naturally occur ON the corn plant (it's a bacteria) and helps deter bugs, it isn't supposed to be actually genetically a part of the plant, in every cell of the plant, you know? So sometimes it comes down to choosing your frankenfoods wisely. Your strawberries? Maybe, maybe not. If you have the stakes with the company name, you could contact them to try to find out their policies. With our plants, we decided to take the "Oh well!" route and buy them, but it will be nice to have organic plants when we have a home of our own one day - fresh organic strawberries eaten straight off the plants are the best!

Not sure if that helps at all : I can send you some resources and such on GMOs if you are interested, just let me know.

peace, jen
#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2002, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i'm not sure, but i doubt it. commercially grown strawberries are one of the crops doused with the heaviest amounts of pesticides, but i'd be kinda surprised if the strawberry plant you bought at your local garden center was GE'd. what variety is it? it should be easy enough to find out if it's frankenfood or not.

for more GE food info i like http://www.sierraclub.org/biotech/ and http://www.truefoodnow.com/ .

HTH,
-beanma.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page