Help! I need pest control! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-04-2002, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi!
I have planted my first garden this year. I am learning as I go!: Something is eating my cucumbers and peppers. I got desperate today and sprayed them with a pesticide! I was afraid of losing my cucumbers and din't know what else too do. Please I need a natural alternative, I don't want anymore chemicals in my garden especially once the plants start getting vegetables. This should help get it under control, but how do I keep it that way? I don't want my family eatin all the junk, thats why I wanted too grow my own.
Help! and Thanks!
Brydean
#2 of 3 Old 06-05-2002, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
congrats on your garden! well, i'm sure someone else can step in here with more info, but here goes...

it really helps if you can identify what the bug is that's doing the damage. there are good bugs (think ladybugs) and bad bugs (think aphids) and the good bugs will eat the bad bugs so you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak and spray something that's going to kill them both. also, a lot of plants can withstand some damage from pests. flea beetles, for example, make little tiny teeny holes in the leaves of pepper plants and eggplants and some greens like arugula, but they don't usually damage the fruit, so you can live and let live unless the infestation is really severe.

all that said, you might try an insecticidal soap spray. there are commercial brands or you can mix one up yourself with a little soap and a little oil and a lot of water. go very light on the soap (not detergent) and oil or you can damage your plants. don't spray in the heat of the day either. just a strong spray of water will also dislodge pests like aphids or you can just squoosh 'em. another homemade organic spray is made by mixing hot pepper and garlic and water. you can puree it all in the blender and then strain it through cheesecloth before putting it in your spray bottle. i think that one is supposed to discourage the bad guys from coming back.

there's a good organic gardening forum at www.gardenweb.com if you're interested in checking it out.

HTH,

-beanma.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2002, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am bumping an old thread with an article about this topic. THis is pretty inclusive and you should have most of your questions answered by it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page